Thread: Cant associate extension with WMP

Cant associate extension with WMP

I am having problem in association of video extensions like : avi, mpeg, wmv and other video extensions with windows media player. As every time i double click over these extensions, i have to confront with "Open with" dialog box to selected the right kind of player to run . Even if i check "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" option with the default application associated with these extensions, windows media player, i confront same problem each time while clicking over these files. I notice, the unusal pattern gets associated with these extensions like, if the file is of p.avi, then "open with" dialog lists it to p.avi" rather than just p.avi, this happens with all video extensions. I tried many times to remove filetypes and reassociates in options of wmplayer, but all goes in vain. i just wanted that these files shud directly run in the default application (in my case, its wmplayer) rather than a stopover of dialog box of "open with". I am running latest updates of winxp professional(sp2), windows media player 10 series. Does anybody have a clue to clear this ?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    First of all ticklerk,welcome to Techzonez.Have you tried opening WMP and selecting tools/options/types and selecting the media types you want WMP to support?Give that a try and let us know what happens.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Thanks for the welcome, zipp41. yes i have checked in tools/options/types and selected/reselected those video extensions in windows media player and even deleted the entries in registry that were associated with other applications in these extensions (avi, mpeg, wmv) as Hkey_classes_root-> .avi->openwith section. and only let the wmplayer application existed. Even the problem still not resolved. And strangely if i associate these video extensions with winamp rather than wmplayer, then these file directly run there, without any stopover of openwith dialogbox. Main problem is that i think that unusual entry that gets associated with the file as i mentioned p.avi" rather than p.avi that openwith lists. Thanks for the try to guess.

Sounds to me like WMP10 is corrupted, or that Windoze is not finding the version it thinks it has (i.e. its looking for version 9) when it tries to do the association.

Try uninstalling WMP10 and see if that cures the problem. If so, then reinstall WMP10 from the MS updates site.

Thanks

I am thankful to zaphod2003 for advising me the solution that led me to peace of mind at last. After the Reinstallation of wmplayer 10, video extensions which were giving me nightmare are resolved by own and no more problems of associations with wmplayer is left now. Thanks again.