Thread: Optical Drive Replacement

Optical Drive Replacement

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help me out. The DVD drive in my Acer Aspire has gone belly up so id like to replace it. The thing is tho im more than compentent at maintaining a normal computer I have never taken a laptop apart.

From the looks of it I should just be able to unscrew the base and get to the drive. It looks like there is possibly a screw that holds the drive into place in the middle of the base. Does this sound about right? If anyone has any pictures or instructions on taking one of these apart id be grateful the website doesnt seem to have any tech documents about replacing parts.

The other problem is that I have a tray drive (A Liteon SOS 852) and was hoping I can replace it with a Samsung 8x Slimline DVDRW Bare Type. However the bezel is different to the one on my laptop, are these designed to come off and replace easily or do I have to get a special type of drive to replace it with. The laptops one *looks* like its clipped on so im hoping its easy to replace.

TIA

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez. For us to be able to determine exactly what needs to be done You will have to let us know Make and Model of your system.

Each manufacturer uses different designs for their systems.

I have an Acer Aspire 1672WLMi (P4 3GHz, 512mb).

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Well hopefully richard will pop in to help answer this as he has the very same model. But till then I will see what I can find.

Cheers guys

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar
    Hi,

I believe if you remove the screw between the battery release button and the dvd drive should allow you to simply unslot the drive

Most DVD drives will have an adaptor to be able to plug them in but I havent tried removing the drive

I recently put a 1gb memory upgrade into my laptop replacing the existing 256 module

I would have done both, however the other memory module is almost impossible to access without dismantling the entire chassis, this left me with a memory size of 1024+256,, isn't too bad

Thanks,

That screw did work part way atleast when removing the drive. It would slide about 1/2 way out before the connection cable refused to allow me to budge it anymore. Should i be able too pull it all the way out? I assumed that the cable wasnt long enough so didnt want to force it.