Thread: The NERVE of Qualcomm (Eudora)

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar

The NERVE of Qualcomm (Eudora)

I just saw this on usenet. It struck me sorta funny, but it is not a joke.

Qualcomm, has just released a new BETA of Eudora, version 7. So, why is this funny?

It seems that eventhough they have a disclaimer that the software is still in the testing stage and can cause problems, and they warn you to use it at your own risk, the program does not run in full mode.

Qualcomm expects users to purchase a new Key at a cost of almost $50.00 to test the software for them.

One person pointed out that if anything should Qualcomm not really PAY "us" to do the testing for them?

What would be so hard for them to provide full use copies, give them a time limit that would be fine, and then expect payment if a user wanted to continue with the full final version?

I downloaded the Beta. But, I am not about to purchase a new Key to test their software the HECK with them!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Makes sense to me...

The HECK with them part? OR what they want you (me) to do?

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Beta testing is a double positive for large software companies. You get free testing AND advance sales marketing. We, as computer geeks get to play with the latest and greatest. our fever for upgrades is fed. And by beta testing software, we get to be part of the software's "inner circle". "I saw this before you" sort of thing. It's an ego thing. And they're going to make $$$ off of it. You're absolutely right in your views. However, they'll pull it off, make some money from it, get their software tested, and roll out the next version to a huge fanfare. It's a cruel world. Fortunately, there is good whiskey to make one feel better.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Banned
    hmmm interesting ive been driving qualcomm employees for about 3 months now.Now that i know this ima try to get it for free

Quote Originally Posted by Denyse01
    The HECK with them part? OR what they want you (me) to do?

The part that they should pay us to test their SW.

I got a message from a person who said they work at Eudora and were very upset with my remarks. The person told me I was wrong that in sponsored mode, the mode the beta runs in without a key, had all of the features.

That proved to me that (1) the person did NOT work for Eudora and/or (2) the person had no idea what the program says when you do not have a new key, a box states what does not run.

What a way to beta TEST a program; not having access to all of the features.

Banned
    ok nvm i wont even ask the employees

Quote Originally Posted by Denyse01

What a way to beta TEST a program; not having access to all of the features.

Very true