Thread: Possible harware problem?

Possible harware problem?

Hello all. Here's the deal: A few months ago I began to have problems with my PC. Everything slowed down. DVD burning now takes 40 min as opposed to the normal 12 min that it should, due to buffer interuptions. Since I deal with audio editing and converting at a univeristy (We offer the full class on mp3), I have to pull the audio off of cd onto the computer. This used to take about 2 min per 50 min class, but now takes 6-8 min. I also work with audio recording, and this being an OK setup I should have so much audio pops and clicks. I've set the buffers on max and I still have problems with it.

I've tried all sorts of defragmenting, using windows Xp and Fix-it utilities. I've reformated the system HD twice. Once using the quick option, 2nd time at normal speed, or full. It's not spyware or a virus. I've used memtest.

Here's the rig:
    P4 3.0 HT
    1024 MB 333 DDR RAM
    1 NEC 3500AG DVDrw
    1 Hitachi GCC-4481B CDrw/DVD combo
    1 Seagate 40gb HDD
    1 Seagate 200gb HDD
    64MB Nvidia Quadro NVS
    M-audio Delta 1010 audio card
    Windows XP Pro sp2
    Wavelab 4.0f
    Steinberg Nuendo 1
    Nero

Not too sure about the Mobo.

I have a comp at home that has a P42.4, 1GB 333 RAM that runs twice as fast as this machine. This shouldn't be.

It ran normally for a while then started messing around with me.

What could be the problem?
    Last edited by mrA; October 10th, 2005 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Left out a few components again
    Repeat after me: I WILL use Google before asking stupid questions.

Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Hummm. Its quite a good setup for a system running video and audio recording. How many background programmes are running? How much RAM is free upon startup? (go to taskmanager and look at free physical mem)
    Also, is your paging file at least 1.5x of your ram value? Do check the RAM usage first. Paging file is the last thing I look at. Or, does your comp have a general slowdown? If so, check for viruses.

I suspect that your RAM usage is very high. Background programs esp. Antivirus software being the main cause. I never run any background programme even antivirus or the Windows Firewall. I am part of the geeks that pull as much ram from the system as possible.

Somthing I am not really sure may help: Go to your BIOS setup and turn off HyperThreading for the processor.

Do the RAM first and see how it goes.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I agree with turning off HT. I've seen that cause popping and clicking in audio.

Thanks Joshsiao.

This is my first comp with a HT processor. I've strayed from purchasing one becuase I've heard there have been problems with audio and HT cpu's.

I'll try it out tomorrow and report the results.

I disabled HT and everything "seems" to be back to normal. I'm going to defrag and see what happens.

Thanks for the help

Sounds like its over heating to me and the BIOS is stepping things down internally to keep things cooler. Turning of the HT would elimate part of the CPU thus causing less heat and it not to do anything to itself, just because there are audio problems with HT doesnt mean it should affect the rest of the system when it comes to ripping a CD or burning a disc.