Thread: Home network

Home network

Seems like I've been spending most of my time fixing stuff lately, rather then doing actual work.

Here's the deal. I just installed another comp downstairs. We now have 5 computers running on the same nextwork. Four of which are connected via WIFI and the last one cabled. The router is a D-link DI-624+. Connection speeds are 512/512. The problem is that ever since I installed the new computer speeds have decreased drastically. My roommate plays WOW and is complaining of massive lag. Previously, this would happen if someone was downloading at 50+Kb/sec, and it would happen when he was in an area with large amounts of people and on a laggy server. Now I limited my DL speeds to 6-10 and he is experiencing this during normal game play.

Question is: Is there a program I can use to monitor bandwidth on the network? I'd like to figure out where the bandwidth is running off to.
    Repeat after me: I WILL use Google before asking stupid questions.

Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    could be network chatter...I would unplug all the ws and plug in 1 at a time till you find the culprit. could be a faulty driver or NIC card.

Hi mrA,

Make sue that the firmware and drivers for all of the network adapters are at the latest levels available. Dont forget the router

Disconnect all of the PC's from the network, bring them online one at a time to see if any particular pc is causing the problem.

all i know is wireless networks eat up bandwidth. i realize you haven't had a problem till now, but maybe there is something there. Maybe this last computer was "the straw that broke the camels back" as it were in terms of bandwidth.