Thread: Tape Backup Alternatives (Seagate Travan 40)

Tape Backup Alternatives (Seagate Travan 40)

System: Windows XP Pro SP2 workstation/P2P
    Tape Drive: Seagate Travan 40
    Software version: Tapeware 7.00 SP4D
    Schedule Type: Daily - Manual / Weekly - Manual
    Backup mode: Full/Overwrite all tapes/Standard Compression

Problem: Tapeware fails to perform backup job (intermittent).
    Steps taken to resolve: Reinstalled drivers/tapeware software. Altered tapeware.ini - repair database. Replaced Tape Drive. Upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro. Installed ALL current tapeware service packs.

Question: Is there a viable alternative? We require scheduled backups after normal business hours, a daily and weekly backup, it must be possible to take the media offsite, backups must be performed automatically with no further instruction, cost effective and ease of use.

From my research here are some alternatives I have found:
    *Sony SAIT = $$$$$
    *D2D (Disk to Disk) or Disk-Based Backup
    *Veritas Backup Exec - for disk-based backup = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    *SAN
    *Network = $$$$$
    *Hard Drive
    *DVD-R
    *Iomega REV
    *Windows Task Scheduler
    *Backup for Workgroups
    *Norton Ghost or PQ DriveImage
    *Virtual TapeServer

Thanks,

Evil_Tapeware

*PLEASE NOTE: A trouble ticket was submitted to Quantum over a month ago and the case was escalated to their Tier 2 rep - Mr Sanchez. Quantum has determined that the software is configured properly and the case has now escalated to Tapeware support, whom have yet to call us back.
    Last edited by Reverend; October 12th, 2005 at 19:18 PM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I would go with the external hard drive with Veritas backup software.I use NTI Backup Now software which came with a DVD burner I've had for about 1yr.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

That sounds like a good plan. I've been looking into the Veritas software, even as a replacement to the tapeware software for the travan40. Veritas originally developed tapeware here in Orlando.

*One note:

In all my years, I have never seen a technician do something like this... before I was with the company, the previous tech replaced a perfectly good Travan40 with new so he could squeeze a little more $$$ from the company. In the process of doing so, he had an odd jumper setting. The jumper was supposed to look like this:

:::: - master

Instead he had only the bottom prong covered with the jumper on both drives (the previous and the replacement drive) so it was set like so:

Could this setting have a negative effect on how both drives performed? If so, how?

Jumper settings for a Travan 40

:::: Tape drive set as “slave”
    :::| Tape drive set as “master”
    ::|: Tape drive set for “cable select” (tape drive is master or
    slave depending on the interface cable.- requires special cable )

see http://downloads.quantum.com/Certanc..._trav40_en.pdf

page 20 for troubleshooting .

Have you tried disabling the backup software and using Windows Backup. also make sure that you have no other processes scheduled to run at the same time as the backup, e.g Virus Scanning

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    The way he had it set up would be fine if the IDE cable supports cable select which is what was chosen by simply not connecting anything.According to "Installing the drive""If your IDE cable supports “Cable Select,” configure the drive for
    “Cable Select” (see figure 4). The second ATAPI device must also be
    configured for “Cable Select.”So there should be no negative effects from the configuration.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    backup in a small company with Windows 2000 has been driving me crazy too. Cannot backup dbs file is in use, plus tape drive asks for confirmation overwrittin g tape (making automated useless), and even to an extra SCSI array it complains.
    Here, at my company thought, I decided to go temporaly (over 6 months now ) until we get a tape loader, this solution
    USB 2 300GB external drive, backup using Veritas, disk folder type, then move to tape (if it fits in tape, some of our backup don't fit in 40/80GB DLT tape we have).
    You can do something similar. Tape has the advantge to take offsite, but in my opinion is too unreliable, even if backed up with no errors. Disk drive, as long as you have disk space is fine.
    If you require to backup lot of data, there are SATA arrays, that you can buy. Putting 4 SATA 250 GB it will give you 1 TB of data.