Thread: Web crashes but internet stays up

Web crashes but internet stays up

I live in an apartment complex with a very weird internet system. I'm running XP pro, and I have been having problems with the web crashing so I can't browse websites. I can still be online with my IM programs, search/download program updates, etc... I just can't surf the web. The only soution to this I have found is restarting my computer, in which case fully functionality returns immediatly. I believe it is the apartment's network which I use to connect to the net, maybe messing up my computers port settings or something like that. I just did a reformat and reinstall not too long ago, and I am very careful and have done checks, and I can't find any viruses/spyware. Any insight on this annoying problem is very welcome.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Is this connection by any chance a wireless one?Where is the wireless access point located?Is the connection part of your rent?If so you should ask others that are sharing if they are having the same problem.Let us know.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

it's not a wireless connection, but it is part of the rent, so I will ask around. The connection is horrible anyway, it is like a T1 split between 200 people. Thanks!

seems that others have this problem as well. We think it is either an old or overloaded router that is doing things it shouldn't. If anyone knows what it is I would really appriciate it. We need something to tell the front desk because they don't have any tech people here and just forward what we say to their ISP. TIA!
    Last edited by bcraig; October 25th, 2005 at 19:31 PM.

Question: Are you running ZoneAlarm?
    Repeat after me: I WILL use Google before asking stupid questions.

Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    next time it happens instead of restarting open the run box

type cmd

in the dos box type

ipconfig/release

hit enter

now type

ipconfig/renew

that should get your internet back without restarting.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

hey, thanks for the help, I will try that next time.
    I'm not running zone alarm.

Different web services run through different connections known as ports. The web works through port 80, it is possible that you have some kind of spyware infection which is messing with port 80 connections, it's not unusual. It is more likely that your web browser is fried in some way possibly also due to spyware - I would try 2 things to narrow it down.

1. Try a different browser - Firefox and Opera are very good.
    2 Reconfigure your browser to use your ISPs proxy server - these usually operate on port 3128 or 8080, you would get the info from your ISP.

Good luck
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

thanks for the help so far. Those ip commands didn't seems to have any effect. I have been experimenting and found some more info.

When it goes down, it is not just IE. Firefox also goes down, along with my FTP client, and outlook. The deal that AIM stays working may have to do with an automatic time-out that takes a couple minutes to declare your connection "dead." I also discovered that if you unplug the network cable and plug it back in the problem fixes itself instantly. This also happens to other computers hooked up to the same network. Thanks again!