Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folder lock

Folder lock

Hey guys,

New to this forum and was wondering if i could get some help about this program called folder lock. It is a program that locks files on your computer and can be retrived by entering your password.

http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/

Just yesterday, i opened folder lock and there appeared to be no folders inside the 'locker'. The size says 565MB which means that my data are still inside that folder but i cant retrieve them cause i cant even see them!

Hope someone can help, those are important documents..

Thanks

Platinum+ Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Folder Lock Site
    "lock, hide and password-protect files in seconds."
    Maybe it hid your files. You could select 'Show all hidden files and folders' in Tools > Folder Options... > 'View' tab.
    Or you can uninstall Folder Lock and it will probably ask you what you want to do with the files you have locked using it.

If you're a home user, it would make much more sense to zip your stuff and set a password for the zipfile.
    Last edited by tarun; October 20th, 2005 at 08:02 AM.

Basically i just opened folder lock and the files disappeared, didnt do anything to them. Anyhow, i went to 'Tools' > 'Folder options' > etc. and found that the 'Show all hidden files and folders' option was already checked and even after unchecking and re-checking the box, the files didnt show up.

When i tried to uninstall Folder lock, a pop-up warned that all files associated with folder lock including reg keys etc will be deleted. Does this mean just folder lock itself or whatever data i have encrypted will be deleted too?

Thanks tarun for trying to be of assistance.. appreciate it. Could i have accidently pushed some short-cut keys that made them invisible or are there any other suggessions?

Yeah zipping would be a good idea but to be honest, this is for my dad in his office. I recommended the program to him and now its messed up and he needs the files badly.

Thanks

Platinum+ Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locker
    Basically i just opened folder lock and the files disappeared, didnt do anything to them. Anyhow, i went to 'Tools' > 'Folder options' > etc. and found that the 'Show all hidden files and folders' option was already checked and even after unchecking and re-checking the box, the files didnt show up.

When i tried to uninstall Folder lock, a pop-up warned that all files associated with folder lock including reg keys etc will be deleted. Does this mean just folder lock itself or whatever data i have encrypted will be deleted too?

Thanks tarun for trying to be of assistance.. appreciate it. Could i have accidently pushed some short-cut keys that made them invisible or are there any other suggessions?

Yeah zipping would be a good idea but to be honest, this is for my dad in his office. I recommended the program to him and now its messed up and he needs the files badly.

Thanks
    I'll install the program and try to uninstall without un-hiding the files and post back ASAP...

That would be awesome!! thanks so much!!

Platinum+ Member
    Any idea if the files were dragged into the 'Lock' folder or Locked with a right click > lock option?

Dragged into the 'Locker' folder

Platinum+ Member
    Dragged into the 'Locker' folder
    Good News! Then nothing will happen to them, you can recover them. That particular folder doesnt get erased even if you uninstall.

After you uninstall, you will see this window -

Yay!! thats very good new.. so erm.. where does the 'Locker' folder go to then? in My docs or desktop? O and so i probably shouldnt trust Folder Lock anymore then should i?

Platinum+ Member
    Yay!! thats very good new.. so erm.. where does the 'Locker' folder go to then? in My docs or desktop? O and so i probably shouldnt trust Folder Lock anymore then should i?
    The Locker folder is at C:\Program Files\Folder Lock and remains undeleted after uninstall. It opens up automatically after uninstall as well.
    Its better to stay away from Folder Locker because the folders you right click on and select 'Lock with Folder Locker' are probably deleted (I cant see the one I locked).

Hope you recover your dad's files

Alright then, thanks heaps!!! And you recommended zipping files? is that safe? and eh 'bug proof' ?

Are these files highly confidential? Zipped files can be easily cracked.

confidential stuff.. could you recommend a good program? to password protect and possibly hide files.

thanks

Windows built-in encryption (NTFS required), but make sure you read this if you want to use it:
    http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16770

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar