Thread: profile size and shutdown time

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar

profile size and shutdown time

Does profile size affect shutdown time? If so, how do I shrink it? And exactly what impacts profile size: the amount o' crap in My docs, the # of programs installed for "me only", or...?

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by piaqt
    Does profile size affect shutdown time? If so, how do I shrink it? And exactly what impacts profile size: the amount o' crap in My docs, the # of programs installed for "me only", or...?

Mostly yes.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I couldn't agree ^ more...Yes to all, All the above... "C"

Very hard question to answer but the easy one is yes

So deleting/moving stuff will speed things up? Significantly? My profile is 269 mb.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Maybe. However, my work "Profile" size is 1.5 Gigabytes and the system runs well starting up/shutting down, etc...

You might want to shutdown any unnecessary services. Also, is XP clearing out your paging file on shutdown? That can slow things down a bit.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

1. Mine does too, just takes too long.
    2. Been there, done that.
    3. No.

Guess I'll just have to accept it. (sigh)
    from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
    On Windows 2000 the service deals with application event log event 1000 from source Userenv where the message indicates that the profile is not unloading and the error is "Access is denied". On Windows XP and Windows 2003 the equivalent events are 1517 and 1524 from source Userenv.
    To accomplish this the service monitors for logged off users that still have hives loaded. When that happens the service determines which applications have handles opened to the hives and releases them. It logs the application name and what registry keys where left open. After this the system finishes unloading the profile.

Guess what? For once, Bill Gate's Inc.'s solution worked! I installed the above, and "saving settings" goes WAY faster.
    Last edited by piaqt; October 30th, 2005 at 17:22 PM.

love, piaqt