Thread: BSOD Crashes

BSOD Crashes

Hi,

Can anyone help with crashes I seem to be getting during Startup and/or shutdown. Machine is a Dell Dimension 8300, with 2GB Ram. I have run the memory check utility program which did not pick up any problems with the ram.

This has been happening for months, and I have not got much further than finding it is related to a device driver problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have attached the most recent minidump files.

Regards,

Ian.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    According to 1 of the dump files afd.sys is the file causing problems. Unfortunately I could not open all the dump files.

Check your Event Viewer for more information. You should also be able to check the status of the issue with MS at that point also.

You might want to try going to Windows Update site and getting updates to drivers and see if that helps. Most of the time, I found, it was video or RAM that was doing this.

It escapes me at the moment (time for bed!) but the learned veterans here can tell you how to uncheck a setting to keep it from "looping" (if that is what is happening) and the error code will be there for you to research via the net. You can get more detailed information about the problem driver from those codes.

Sharon

I use the winows update site regularly, and have all the available updates.

The problems has got slightly better as many of the recent crashes were related to having upgraded McAfee and also having installed a pop-up blocker. I have 'enabled' McAfee in my pop-up blocker which has stopped some of the crashes.

I am still getting occasional crashes however (maybe one time in 6 when shutting down). I'll see how it goes and post further minidumps if it keeps happening.

BSOD Crashes

I am still getting crashes, nearly always when starting up or shutting down.
    They seem worse since installing McAfee Security suite 2005 and Spyware Doctor, although I have had the crashes happening for some time, but just less frequently.

I have attached the most recent 6 minidumps below, and any help would be appreciated.

My advice would be to switch out your video card or RAM. In doing research on this issue, I found that it is in most cases, one's video or RAM. It worked for us and I have no clue why our video started causing that. RAM doing the same thing in a really nice laptop belonging to a friend. She paid $150 to someone for telling her it was a "harware issue" and that she should pay tons to send it back to the manufacturer. I removed a RAM stick and it never looped again. One of them was bad.

I'm sure the more seasoned vets here can tell you a bit more, however, in my experience with several machines doing it, I would swap out the video for another, or the RAM.

Try RAM first, easier!

Sharon