Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display Flickers

Platinum+ Member

Display Flickers

My monitor flickers sometimes when I'm browsing or something and since the past 2 days the computer has been rebooting of its own accord.
    Do you think my display card is screwed? I have a NVidia GeForce4 MX 4000 and an onboard card (Intel D865GBF Motherboard & BIOS date 04/12/04).
    Should I remove my graphics card and check if it still reboots?

I ask because this coincides with FF crashes and WMP slowness as well as longer boot times.
    Last edited by tarun; October 23rd, 2005 at 10:23 AM.

Triple Platinum Member
    I ask because this coincides with FF crashes and WMP slowness as well as longer boot times.
    As a preliminary test, have you run CCleaner and Registry Mechanic (or an equivalent) to eliminate the possibility of the slowness being a result of a messy registry (or something similar)?
    Last edited by rohitk89; October 23rd, 2005 at 11:21 AM.

Platinum+ Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rohitk89
    As a preliminary test, have you run CCleaner and Registry Mechanic (or an equivalent) to eliminate the possibility that the slowness could be the result of a messy registry etc?
    Will run reg mech.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Also just try changing your refresh rate, either increasing or decreasing to see if that helps. Could just be an environmental issue, with the flicker at least...

Seconds here on the refresh rate, mine was doing that......just scored a 20 inch monitor someone was throwing out, only thing it did here was flicker. Fixed with an increase.....

Platinum+ Member
    Flickers went away, maybe they were on account of faulty RAM that made my comp reboot.

Banned
    this same problem is happening to mee.

My cybervision c70 monitor is nearly 6 years old. At one time I had two. One was sent along with a computer that I built for one of the grandchildren. This monitor began to flicker after a video card upgrade. I thought it was beginning to fail.

I had always read that flicker was a product of the refresh rate being set too low. I repeatedly changed the settings to provide for a higher refresh rate. At one point I chose 1024x768 at 60 Hz. Everything cleared up. The monitor has been rock solid ever since. This setting was contrary to everything I had read about graphic card and monitor setup.

The lesson is that you shouldn't be afraid to try a low refresh rate. It just might be the one you are looking for.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Banned
    Mine was 60 and it kept flickering, after I read this post, I changed the refresh rate to 70 Hz, and so far it has been quite a remarkable gentlemen to me, lol

ALWAYS try different refresh rates for monitor flicker. 98 times out of 100 that will help if not cure the issue.

Banned
    I totaly agree, I mean, I didn't even know much about the refresh rate and all, after reading this post and regulating my refresh rate, the whole thing just stopped bugging.

I just don't get it, what are the Hz, are they like some mesures for the monitors performance...elctricity...power...?

That is the speed at which electricity travels. Different devices have different Hz rates. They can all have an effect on each other. The only ones that we really notice are ones that we can see, i.e. monitors and T.V.'s. On a monitor we can change the speed at which the screen is refreshed, meaning that you can change the speed at which the electricity travels thru the screen. In this way we are able to eliminate or at least lessen the effects of other devices on the screen and how it looks to our eyes.

Banned
    sweet, now its clearer, thanks for the info pal.

Prolonged use on low refresh rate on monitors can give you killer headaches.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Quote Originally Posted by z3n
    Prolonged use on low refresh rate on monitors can give you killer headaches.
    I agree that in most cases you are right. The flicker causes eye strain and headaches. If lowering the refresh gets rid of a flicker, eye strain will lessen.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition