Thread: USB external modem and external USB DVD burner conflict

USB external modem and external USB DVD burner conflict

hi guys,
    was wondering if anyone could help me on this issue below...the problem i'm having is:i have today bought a external dvd drive USB and i have bought a hi-speed USB 2.0 3-port PCI card to go with it,now i have inserted the external usb dvd writer into that new piece of kit.
    now i also have a bt voyager 105 external broadband modem which is also USB but plugged into the USB on my motherboard,now when both are connected they seem fine modem works fine but when i try to back up files off my hdd to my external USB dvd writer it keeps getting the error message that is pictured,but when i take out the external USB broadband modem from the motherboard USB port the drive works fine.I have tried putting the modem USB into other USB ports but keep getting the same problems they both have teir own seperate power sources so its not a power conflict it seems to be more USB conflict than anything else.Would someone like to try and help me out a little please as it's getting rather frustrating now......

many thanks in advance
    Last edited by utdfederation; October 23rd, 2005 at 17:48 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Found this at afterdawn:

A semaphore timeout occurs when your drive loses communication with the rest of your system. There are two things I'd suggest trying first:

1) Make sure your ASPI layer is in good order. ForceASPI is a great one. Post back if you need help installing it.

2) Ensure DMA is enabled for your drives. Here's a link:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/IDE-DMA.mspx

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

re:

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Found this at afterdawn:
    hi and thanks for the reply.
    have done exactly what you stated aspi i had to update the box was red now its green and says everything is ok,also did what you said about the dma all ok now ,restarted tried to burn again and the same error came up.
    nice try though,anything else i can try?

Rather than a PCI port version,i would advise you use a dedicated 3 or 4 port USB hub (with own power supply). This method has the advantage of requiring less system resources and can also deliver more power than a PCI card.

Rather than a PCI port version,i would advise you use a dedicated 3 or 4 port USB hub (with own power supply). This method has the advantage of requiring less system resources and can also deliver more power than a PCI card.
    yeah i knew you were going to say that so i went and borrowed my brother-in-laws and tried it but again still same problem

So you are saying the DVD burner works fine when the modem is unplugged?

Whilst you are trying to burn is your ADSL connection active?

Try it with the modem still plugged in but with the ADSL disconnected.(should be able to stop the ADSL from the sys tray icon.)

So you are saying the DVD burner works fine when the modem is unplugged?

Whilst you are trying to burn is your ADSL connection active?

Try it with the modem still plugged in but with the ADSL disconnected.(should be able to stop the ADSL from the sys tray icon.)
    did that still same again

just noticed in your screenie that the error is with DVD decrypter and not your hardware. After doing a search i found your problem with DVD decrypter is quite common.

Rather than me posting a long list of solutions,browse through these threads i found:

CD Freaks

Digital Digest

BTW, why are you using DVD decrypter to back up your files,or are you actually trying to rip a DVD.