Thread: Data Execution Prevention

Banned

Data Execution Prevention

I am running a windows XP.
    So basically, for the past few days, don't know when exactly, anyways, I have been encoutering some problems. For example, I can't acces "My Pictures" folder.When I click on My Pictures, what comes up is this following message:

Just to inform you, I took a screenshot of the message that showed up, then I pasted it on Paint, when I tried to save it, the paint prog just closed, so I had to use photoshop for this.

This is pretty wierd, how do I fix this annoying problem?

thanks in advance,

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Check your Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings.

Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK. (or right click My Computer and select properties)

2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

3. On the Data Execution Prevention tab there are 2 options.

"Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only"

"Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select"

check the first option "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" and click apply.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Banned
    It was already on "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" , so what shall I do now?

If the first option is already checked, put a check next to the second option instead "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" and then click Add to add the programs that you do not want to use the DEP feature. Then click OK twice.

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a set of hardware and software technologies that perform additional checks on memory to help prevent malicious code from running on a system. In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, DEP is enforced by hardware and by software.

The primary benefit of DEP is to help prevent code execution from data pages. Typically, code is not executed from the default heap and the stack. Hardware-enforced DEP detects code that is running from these locations and raises an exception when execution occurs. Software-enforced DEP can help prevent malicious code from taking advantage of exception-handling mechanisms in Windows.
    The cause of your problem is because some programs do not support DEP.
    Last edited by Reverend; October 30th, 2005 at 20:05 PM.

Banned
    SWEET!!!! Thanks its working now, none of that annoying message, now I should master the definition of DEP lol, anyways, this is my setting, tell me if its good: Link

Yeah that looks OK.

BTW, i have edited your thread title to "Data Execution Prevention" .

Using "series of unfortunate events" as a title is not very informative and also isn't beneficial to any members/visitors using our search index.

Banned
    lol, thats fine with me, I just took that from the movie, lol, anyways, thanks alot, for you're greatful help, I owe you one

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Nice work Reverend!
    ------------------------------------------------------------