Thread: Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far... Yikes!

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar

Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far... Yikes!

System internals has a shocking article up:

Last week when I was testing the latest version of RootkitRevealer (RKR) I ran a scan on one of my systems and was shocked to see evidence of a rootkit. Rootkits are cloaking technologies that hide files, Registry keys, and other system objects from diagnostic and security software, and they are usually employed by malware attempting to keep their implementation hidden (see my “Unearthing Rootkits” article from thre June issue of Windows IT Pro Magazine for more information on rootkits). The RKR results window reported a hidden directory, several hidden device drivers, and a hidden application:

Read more
    http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Good article there.

Brings to light the extent that companies will go to 'protect' their works. Although i agree that they have a right to do something, things like this is a little too much.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Eye-opening read.

My understanding is that rootkits are extremely difficult to remove and some removal mthods have destroyed operating systems. I don't think it is legal for a company such as sony to be allowed to installed a rootkit on any public computer. This is just wrong. But the shocking thing is that even CoolWebSearch is now installing rootkits and if you get one you should wipeout everything and format your computer and install a fresh copy of xp...

the game is upped
    Last edited by egghead; November 2nd, 2005 at 00:03 AM.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I think its becoming more prevelant for companies to do this.

Look at Video Game protection. Starforce and a few others will actually 'disable' virtual drives that are installed on the pc.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    SOFTWARE UPDATES/ PLUG-INS

November 2, 2005 - This Service Pack removes the cloaking technology component that has been recently discussed in a number of articles published regarding the XCP Technology used on SONY BMG content protected CDs. This component is not malicious and does not compromise security. However to alleviate any concerns that users may have about the program posing potential security vulnerabilities, this update has been released to enable users to remove this component from their computers.

http://updates.xcp-aurora.com/

http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html

Sony to patch copy-protected CD

I see by Big Boogers post they reacted quickly on this one.:
    Sony BMG Music Entertainment and a technology partner are working with antivirus companies on a fix for a potential security problem in some copy-protected CDs.
    Earlier in the week, security experts said that anticopying technology used by Sony BMG could be adapted by virus writers to hide malicious software on the hard drives of computers that have played one of the CDs. The antipiracy tool is included on many of Sony BMG's latest music releases, from Van Zant to My Morning Jacket.
    Sony BMG's technology partner First 4 Internet, a British company, said Wednesday that it has released a patch to antivirus companies that will eliminate the copy-protection software's ability to hide. In consequence, it will also prevent virus writers from cloaking their work using the copy-protection tools.
    The record label and First 4 Internet will post a similar patch on Sony BMG's Web site for consumers to download directly, the companies said.
    "We want to make sure we allay any unnecessary concerns," said Mathew Gilliat-Smith, CEO of First 4 Internet. "We think this is a pro-active step and common sense."

Read full story
    http://news.com.com/Sony+to+patch+co...8608&subj=news