Thread: Can't get Firefox to stand alone

Can't get Firefox to stand alone

I've got msn dialup.To use FF, I sign into msn then call up FF.(Both browsers present). After dwnldg Bazooka, the database is 8 months old and wants update. The update function immediately grabs FF to get to the site even though I'm online only with Msn Explorer. The update fails because "cannot resolve server address" because both browsers are online. How can I get online using only FF? - Due to a recent fire at my house, disposable income is non-existent until I get rebuilt so don't tell me to get rid of dial-up. (Hear that alot!) DRB

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi blackhat

You should be able to use all browsers at the same time while online. I guess Bazooka grabs FF because you must of set FF as the default browser ???

Doesn't FF work online for sites other than Bazooka ?

What OS are you using ? I don't think your dial-up connection is right if you need MSN browser to sign in, you should be able to connect and stay connected without any browser open.
    Last edited by FastGame; November 2nd, 2005 at 13:00 PM.

I've got XP Home edition. As far as I know, the system runs perfectly (except perhaps for that guy running the mouse and typing!). In FF options, it runs a check and states that FF is the default, but in Internet options, msn is the default. Still, there seems to be no mention of the modem or dialup properties. I was expecting to have two Icons on the screen, either of which able to get to the Internet. I see now that only one ISP is available, so I must be using the correct proceedure. In addition to not being able to update Bazooka, ("unable to resolve server address"), I downloaded EasyCleaner 4 times and never got the same file size twice. 270KB-1800KB of a file that was supposed to be ~2.8MB. I never have much trouble downloading, and figured it might be the two browsers having a fist-fight.
    I'll keep after it when I have time, but any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.
    DRB

Other than not understanding the two browsers, FF runs around the web just fine DRB

Blackhat, you are not getting many suggestions because it has been a long time since most of us have had to deal with dial-up. When I left dial-up, FF didn't exist. I was using Mozilla and Netscape in those days.

I need a little more information in one area.

I want to make sure that I understand the statement, "In FF options, it runs a check and states that FF is the default, but in Internet options, msn is the default." It may be that you have two registry entries pointing to different software. The first thing I would do is download a registry cleaner and run it. Obviously it that fixes the problem, you can stop here. Below are other suggestions. Link for registry cleaner.

MTU setting is another important tweak for dial-up connections. Download tweak software and set Max MTU speed to 576. This is a speed tweak. You may get a noticeable increase in how fast web pages appear on your monitor. Download

Another useful tool for dial-up is software to stop disconnects. Connection Keep is the one I used. It sends out random queries every few seconds. This keeps the ISP from killing your connection due to inactivity. Download

Until you find the final solution, I would set option to have both IE and FF ask each time if it should be the default browser. When the pop-up appears, choose no. This might temporarily fix your browser battle.

Good luck.
    Last edited by efc; November 3rd, 2005 at 15:15 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

EFC.
    Yeah. I've out-grown dialup. It's time to investigate the options. Thanks for the tips. DRB