Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Windows Media Player issues?

  1. #1
    Platinum+ Member bhxtyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    729

    Windows Media Player issues?

    Hey guys,I'm having some issues with Windows Media Player 10.Lately ever since my PC crashed forcing me to reinstall everything on my comp i have noticed that when viewing video media online i get alot of codec errors.The error in question is whenever Media player tries to download needed codecs it will say it's unable to download them.After i noticed this problem i choose to view the help info givin from the error which took me to microsofts official site to a download page for media player 8 codecs which i downloaded and installed.Yet still whenever i try to view any video media in that format it still gives that "unable to download codec" error after i installed the codec.It's really becoming a pain so has anyone had this happen before?I am using the latest version of media player 10 upgraded from XP SP2's media player 9.Is there any way to completely uninstall Media player 10 and 9 completely then reinstall 10?

  2. #2
    Silver Member joshsiao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    340
    Hmm, from what I know, WMP has a horrendous lack of codecs, it can't for anything, download codecs and the so-called Windows Media Player website has barely any codecs. Try looking for codecs from http://www.free-codecs.com

    It has mega-codecs packs and whatnot.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

  3. #3
    Platinum+ Member bhxtyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao
    Hmm, from what I know, WMP has a horrendous lack of codecs, it can't for anything, download codecs and the so-called Windows Media Player website has barely any codecs. Try looking for codecs from http://www.free-codecs.com

    It has mega-codecs packs and whatnot.
    Yep thats actually where i go already.I have the Ace Mega Codec pack installed latest version.But i still get this error.The codec in question from what the error report says is missing Windows Media player 8 codecs which i downloaded and installed yet it still says unable to download.

    The wierd part is i never had issues with media player auto downloading codecs before so why now?

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    JAPAN
    Posts
    10,660
    Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    Yep thats actually where i go already.I have the Ace Mega Codec pack installed latest version.But i still get this error.The codec in question from what the error report says is missing Windows Media player 8 codecs which i downloaded and installed yet it still says unable to download.

    The wierd part is i never had issues with media player auto downloading codecs before so why now?
    which version of the codec pack are you trying to use? Ace comes with several configs.

    Also what type of file are you trying to play when you get this codec error? Some files won't play in Windows Media Player. .m4p is one type that will not play * or at least I haven't found out how.

  5. #5
    Platinum+ Member bhxtyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    729
    Im using the latest version of the codec pack with professional config,The files in question are normal wmv files which seem to be encoded with media player 8 codecs.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    JAPAN
    Posts
    10,660
    Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    Im using the latest version of the codec pack with professional config,The files in question are normal wmv files which seem to be encoded with media player 8 codecs.
    Try using the classic windows media player (it is located in the Windows Media Player folder). If it works bam, you've sorted it.

  7. #7
    Silver Member joshsiao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    340
    For WMP 8 codecs no wonder! I believe that the site (WMP Microsoft site) dosen't even have those old codecs and WMP 10 is not integrating the old codecs from WMP 8 so that gives the error.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

  8. #8
    Platinum+ Member bhxtyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao
    For WMP 8 codecs no wonder! I believe that the site (WMP Microsoft site) dosen't even have those old codecs and WMP 10 is not integrating the old codecs from WMP 8 so that gives the error.
    But then why would WMP8 vids work fine before but suddenly not now after the format?I reinstalled all the same codecs.Before Media player would always download the correct codec needed but now it gives the error it seems.

    But in any case i think i finally found the codec needed and it seems to be working.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •