Thread: Radeon X700 Pro 256mb GDDR AGP

Radeon X700 Pro 256mb GDDR AGP

I received this card as a replacement for a second faulty GeForce 6600 GT 256mb card. So far it's the easiest to install AGP card that I've had and it's very quiet. However, I have never used a Radeon Card and would appreciate comments on whether it's a suitable replacement card and whether it's any good for games.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Performance wise the 6600 GT is better in games, but if the 6600 GT's don't work I guess performance suks

I think ATI makes great cards. I have both ATI 9800 pro and Nvidia 6800 Ultra, both are trouble free.

BTW, what trouble were you having with the 6600's ?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/rv410/

There's a nice review of the X700.

And a comparison between ATI and Nvidia's range of products:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/x700-1.html
    Last edited by Big Booger; November 4th, 2005 at 17:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/rv410/

There's a nice review of the X700.

And a comparison between ATI and Nvidia's range of products:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/x700-1.html
    Both links are for the X700 XT, XT has better perfomance than the X700 Pro.
    Last edited by Big Booger; November 4th, 2005 at 17:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Performance wise the 6600 GT is better in games, but if the 6600 GT's don't work I guess performance suks

I think ATI makes great cards. I have both ATI 9800 pro and Nvidia 6800 Ultra, both are trouble free.

BTW, what trouble were you having with the 6600's ?

The first 6600 GT card refused to work straight out of the box and it's replacement card started to play up about 2 months after I received it. I sent it back to the company for testing and they phoned me yesterday to say that it was faulty. The policy of the company I bought from is that I doesn't issue a refund for products that are under warranty but over 28 days old, instead they replace like with like. But as this was the second card that failed I made a request for them to consider allowing me to choose a different card and paying the difference if it was more expensive, as I need an AGP the choice wasn't as extense as that of PCI-E and the alternative was a Radeon or the same make of 6600GT. I decided to give Radeon a whirl but I'm wondering whether I received a lesser card than what I had originally, and I did purchase the 6600 GT so that I had a bit of welly when I played games.

I've been using it all day with no problems, spending a few hours on guild wars and a few other games with no problems, I haven't noticed any visible loss of quality compared to the 6600 GT, in fact I think the graphics appear smoother and it's quieter.
    Last edited by webdivauk; November 4th, 2005 at 17:51 PM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Both links are for the X700 XT, XT has better perfomance than the X700 Pro.
    What? Check those links again buddy boy.

I had assumed it was an XT rather than the pro... that seems like a downgrade to go from a 6600GT to an X700 pro.. but then I don't know that much about graphics cards.

Looks like it

I've been through their website the only 6600GT that they stock currently is the same make I had a problem with. I could have had a 128 6600 GT but I didn't want to drop from a 256 to a 128. Not sure if there is anything I can do about it, especially since they don't offer refunds in such cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    What? Check those links again buddy boy.
    Yes the amazing power of TZ administration

webdivauk, IMO you didn't get an even trade, the X700 XT would have been closer.