Thread: Hi Speed USB host Controller

Hi Speed USB host Controller

Hi, I don't quite understand about this USB host controller, I have a new computer and as far as I am aware all the usb ports are USB2, my BIOS says USB 2.0 controller Enabled but when I plug in my new external hard drive I get a message saying I need a Hi Speed USB Host controller, so do I actually need some more hard ware or does it mean software ? any help much appreciated.
    Zetor

WinXP Pro SP2, Abit AG8 MB, 512 Ram,
    Back Panel has: 2x USB 2.0, 1x IEEE 1394 connectors
    2x USB 2.0, 1x RJ-45 LAN
    Last edited by zetor12; November 7th, 2005 at 14:46 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You shouldn't need anything as long as you have all the MB drivers installed.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I have actually had an ECS mobo that I had connected 2 front panel usb ports and I got the same message.However when I plugged the usb 2.0 peripheral to either of the back panel ports I had no problems.Low and behold after I read the manual over again,it's description of 2 usb 2.0 and 2 usb 1.1 front panel told the story.Your mobo however has all expansion and back panel ports as usb 2.0.I think you should reinstall your mobo drivers as Fastgame indicated.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

hi, thanks for the info, I have managed to get it working, I had a look in Device Manager and there was a yellow question mark against the Host Controller, I was able to install it without any problems, thanks again.
    Zetor