Thread: Why would I use a newsreader?

Why would I use a newsreader?

I was having a look at a 30 day trial of Forte Agent newsreader

I am not very familiar with that type of thing and would appreciate what sort of advantage etc I would get from using such a program

Am I right in thinking that newsreaders are largely defunct these days?

Triple Platinum Member
    Am I right in thinking that newsreaders are largely defunct these days?
    Yes. Why would anyone need a stand alone news reader when there's live bookmarking in Firefox?

Plus there are many free web based news aggregators available, if you must use one.
    Last edited by rohitk89; November 8th, 2005 at 09:14 AM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i believe The Tinman is talking about a newsreader for usenet newsgroups like alt.binaries.

Usenet newsgroups are the best way to chat and exchange files & ideas. Newsgroups act as giant worldwide message boards, and anyone can read or post to them. About 40,000 of these message boards or newsgroups exist, with each one covering a different subject. If you want to talk about tractors, racing games or football, you'll find a newsgroup for you. Its even possible to create a new newsgroup, if you can find a topic which has yet to be covered!
    Each newsgroup has a collection of discussions on it; you can read current discussions (and add your own opinions if you wish), or you can start a topic of your own. Want to know if a certain graphics card is worth buying? Want to find out about aeroplanes? New knitting patterns? Just have a look on the newsgroups.
    Many people post files to newsgroups; these include graphics files, audio files and computer programs. Agent can cope with these automatically - if you want it to, it can retrieve the necessary posts from the internet, combine them in the right order, decode them and load up the relevant program - all at the touch of a button!
    Newsgroups are a truly global medium - expect replies to your posts from all 4 corners of the globe! This can sometimes cause problems, as messages can arrive at different times, making it hard to follow a discussion. Agent however, is able to thread articles together intelligently, allowing you to follow a discussion with ease. If someone comes back to a topic days after everyone else, you can easily see the context of their message by viewing the whole thread.
    Agent has many features to make newsgroup browsing as easy and as fun as possible -

Forte Agent Newsreader v.3.1 is out
    Forte is pleased to provide Agent 3.1, a major release with many powerful, new features. There is so much to tell you that we’ve provided just a hint here of what you can do with Agent 3.1. Get more details by clicking the feature description.
    Multiple News Servers and Multiple Connections to News Servers: Agent 3.0 allows you to use as many news servers as you like to retrieve message headers and bodies and to post messages. For each server you can use as many connections as that server allows.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Usenet newsgroups are not defunct and are a great source of uncensored info but may become outlawed due to the pirates that post in the binaries. Where there are pirates there are bound to be pirates treasure.
    Last edited by egghead; November 8th, 2005 at 07:12 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Triple Platinum Member
    i believe The Tinman is talking about a newsreader for usenet newsgroups like alt.binaries.
    You can use news aggregators to read news from usenet news groups as well (Now that Google offers Atom syndication for them).

With Firefox you can simply add a live bookmark like you would for any site that offers feeds.

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar
    I, for one, would be lost without Usenet. If I had to chose between my browser or my newsreader, I would have a very hard choice to make.