Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Failure

Hard Drive Failure

Man this sucks lol,LAtely around here we have been seeing a lot of people asking about hard drive issues,seems i might have caught this issue as well.The past few days i have been getting plagued with freeze ups,at first i thought Windows Messenger was causing the issue but now i'm starting to think it could be my hard drive.

A few moments ago when attepmting to open Outlook Express to check my e-mail my PC once again locked up and during the lockup i could here the hard drive making a constant sound.Somewhat like the normal loading sounds it would make but alot louder (im assuming this sound is the grinding sound people talk about).

After about 5 minutes the PC finally loaded OE and i was able to continue using it but the PC seemed to go significantly slower as far as accessing files.

So i would like to know anyones opinions on the matter,if or if not you think it is indeed the drive.And last but not least does anyone know of a small program which can copy everything from on drive to another in the same PC?I would like to basically copy my C: drive onto a spare 40GB i have then remove the orignal and put int he replacment.Thanks as always TZ

I do not know what OS or hard disk you have, but one of the utilities on here

http://tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

should allow you to check it out and see if it needs replacing.

As for creating an image , have a look here

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilit...andimage.shtml

and see if anything is suitable.

P.S. have you tried to boot into safe mode to see if the bahaviour is the same?

Thanks for the reply,
    Just for future posters reference i am running Windows XP Pro SP2 all latest windows updates,I have already ran a spyware/adware scan and plan to try an antivirus scan tonight.I have also run a defrag on my drives.I have not tried safe mode yet because the occurence of the problem is random.For example right now the Pc seems to work fine but a few hours ago it occured.

This morning when i went to logon to my PC it occured causing me to have to manually reboot.

On a side note to the Acronis users,I have been using acronis True Image for a few weeks and thankfully made backups.But i have a question.I was going to use the "Disk Clone" option to clone my main drive onto my spare HDD.My main drive is currently C: and my spare would be H: when connected.The question is if i clone C: onto H: then remove the old C: and put H: into the C: position would it cause any issues since my current C: is 30GB and my spare is a 40GB?Thanks once again.

I am not sure if the clone option does a full HDD clone or not so thought i would find out before i attempt to do it.I would prefer this as it would not require me to have to reinstall XP and updates once again.

:EDIT:I performed a full system scan for virus's results turned up negative.Also check boot recirds and at the moment the only programs to launch during boot are ZoneAlarm,Norton Antivirus,Trueimage Monitor,and Microsoft mouse and keyboard software for my wireless mouse/keyboard set.

I successfully tranferred all files to spare HDD and am waiting to see if the error occurs again at which time i will swap the old drive for the spare to see if the error still occurs.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; November 11th, 2005 at 07:12 AM.

Could you describe the sound that you hear in more detail?
    It is grinding like "whir" then "click" then "Whir" and so on or does it sound like a old floppy disk being read?
    Or is it just whiring away?
    Do you have the problem when the drive is cold, ie Upon the first startup of the day or when its hot ie after installing software, playing games etc...
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    My first question is what brand hard drive is it? There are many diagnostics that you can download and run to tell if it is a physical problem with the drive.

Secondly, Have you checked Event Viewer to see if any errors have been recorded?

Hey guys thanks for the replies,
    @joshsiao
    The sound is kinda hard to explain,It's not the classic whir,click,whir that i have heard before upon a drive going bad,It sound more like a really long whir the a HDD will make when loading a program except it's louder and is continuous for a few minutes before it will either freeze completely or on occasion start working again.
    I leave my PC turned on 24/7 so it's usually warm but this occurs at different times,sometimes after gaming and sometimes during the occasional checking of e-mail or iternet browsing.

@rik
    The drive in question is a 40GB maxtor drive.I havew had it a few years and it's run perfectly for ages but since it is somewhat old and i leave my PC on 24/7 unless i plan to be gone awhile is what led me to think it's going bad.

I checked event viewer and i do not notice any type of errors.But a few weeks ago my PC completely crashed causing me to have to do a format and reinstall of everything.At the time i also believed the drive might be going bad so i decided to install everything fresh on it then make a full backup for safety to see wether the problem occured again as proof that is was indeed the drives fault.It has been running fine for around a month now and these problems just appeared out of no where.

No new software has been added except windows updates and a MSN messeger update.

So far today it hasnt froze yet,I connected my small microphone so if it makes the sound again i can record a sound clip to post which may help you understand the sond i attempted to describe.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; November 11th, 2005 at 19:28 PM.

Grab the Maxtor diags from http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Ma...re%20Downloads and test the drive.

Thanks for the help rik,Well first thing is first i made a mistake it's a Western Digital not maxtor.The spare 40GB i have is the maxtor.I downloaded WD's diagnostic tools and everything turned up clean except "smart status" fails.

I was also able to record a sound clip of the sound the drive makes.Not the best recording but ou will get the idea.Usually it makes this same sound except it's long and continuous without stopping.

http://rapidshare.de/files/7510046/1.mp3.html

If Smart status fails replace the drive.

thanks rik.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    >>>>>> WD HDD....

Ok i installed my backup drive today,So far so good ran all the diag and everything is clean on it.The new drive doesn't make those sounds either which is a good sign and is much much quieter then the original.

Excellent. Hopefully the bad drive still under warranty and you can have it replaced at no cost.

Damit this sucks,I just had the same problem yet again with the new drive.All tests turn out clean so now im assuming it has to be my XP install or this damn new version of MSN.

The last things i did before they started occuring was update XP and update MSN messenger.Any idea's?

Quick question.If i do an Overwrite of XP will all my programs need to be reinstalled?Or the XP update patches?

EDIT:i just checked event viewer and noticed this error approx when the PC just froze.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7000
    Date: 11/13/2005
    Time: 7:36:07 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: NEO-WUMAIN1
    Description:
    The DgiVecp service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; November 14th, 2005 at 01:02 AM.

Do a system restore back using the very first one you have available. Then see how the system reacts. If all is fine, do your system updates. Obviously have the system disconnected from the net when you do this so it doesn't automatically update.