Thread: Hard Drive Imaging

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Hard Drive Imaging

I need some sugestions and ideas in Hard drive imaging. I haven't played much with it because I find it pointless to create images of the desktops considering they change so quickly and can cause some serious issues to restore an imagine even in a slighly different PC.
    But I think probably the hardware has evolved enught for it not to be so bad, and I had been thinking to use hard drive imaging to save images mainly of servers (not desktops) so, in the case of a failure, we can load the image into another server, and keep working away.
    Also, this might be our solution to move a server from a faulty hardware to a better, more reliable hardware.
    Since I am mainly aimig at servers, it will be better if the imaging software works with SCSI, and SATA RAIDs. On top of that, what suggestions do you have in general for this kind of projects?
    We are buying a Sun Xfire 4100 server to be the developemnt enviroment for a Linux Fedora server, and there is a lot of custom programing, kernel building, and I thought it is easier to make an image and transport, than to rebuild everything.
    Please, throw any kind of advise.
    PS: What linux distro would you prefer for an Enterprise, and for a development server?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATISLin/

Rather expensive, but if you are going to be doing this with a company, they will want to purchase a reliable solution. Acronis is one of the best.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATISLin/

Rather expensive, but if you are going to be doing this with a company, they will want to purchase a reliable solution. Acronis is one of the best.
    I agree with BB

Here's the Official Acronis Support Forum they should be able to answer any concerns you might have.
    Last edited by FastGame; November 11th, 2005 at 22:51 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Acronis rocks!

I agree here,I have been using acronis for a month now and i love it i used Norton ghost previously and didnt enjoy it to much,it was slow and had occasional hanging problems.Acronis is fast and the compression is awsome.Highly recommended i would recommend using version 8 though as i had problems with version 9 for some reason.