Thread: Network Diagram (dynamic)

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Network Diagram (dynamic)

Well, I got this nice software from Fluke (LaN mapShot) which can discover devices by SNMP, and draw a Visio drawing. Great, except it is not pulling the info from out main switch (it does pull from an older switch thought)
    I will leave that for another thread if I can't resolved, since it seems complicated Cisco CCNE level stuff plus I feel the icons are not as nice as Visios icons.
    Anyhow, so because of this I started searching the vast wide web for alternatives, and found NOTHING
    I am currently testing Whatsup but it still is not exactly what I want. I guess I could load a floor map, but it could be quite difficult to manage.
    I had in mind something more closed to LAN Map Shot, where it draws to VISIO, this way I could arrange the drawing to fit my needs with ease, and I will not have to type a lot of information (knowing how to layout 100+ devices is a challenge in itself)
    Also, I wanted to take advange of the posibility to use VISIO in conjuction with MSBA (there is a plugin) in order to run the security scans.
    I might be a little too ambitious, but I am trying to make it easy to visually manage the network. I am also evaluating SolarWinds Engenier edition. I think after trying the software I realized I am too ambitious, because other network engeniers that I talked with, are amazed by this toolset, and I find it boring, time consuming. It is amazing the first hour, then it gets boring unless your job is a dedicated WAN administrator. I just want automatic discovery, and asset management, with a drawing utility program

I have used a product called LANSurveyor with fairly good results, you can find it here http://www.neon.com/Visio.shtml.

Badger

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Yep, I was just looking at it. It seems also is the new product in the Visio Resource Kit. Unfortunately I have the other kit (a little bit older).
    It did work better, and I like it, thought not completely what I want, but good enought.