Thread: CD Recognition

CD Recognition

I have XP Pro, and I believe this started when I installed Roxio Easy CD Creator 7. When I put a CD in, not only does it not autorun (I have checked the autorun settings), but the computer doesn't even realize I put a disc in until I double click on it. The "disc icon" in my computer doesn't even come up. If you need anymore info, ask and I will tell ya. Thanks!

If you get a light and the cd starts to read then stops, the cd drive is sending its start sig to the wrong sound program. Either you or the roxio installation probably crippled the previous sound program.( This is not the Gospel, just a thought.) DRB

Ya, my audio CDs didn't work right before I installed roxio (I didn't connect that cable thing to my soundcard). But this happens with any type of CD. The only time the computer reckognizes a CD is during windows boot. If you have a CD in when you start the computer, it will show up in my computer (image and all), but if you add one after that, nothing happens at all. If you click on it in my computer it opens a window with the CD contents. If you boot up with one disk and it loads it and shows the image, and then insert another CD, it will continue to show the image of the first CD, but will show the new CD files if you open it.

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig
    I have XP Pro, and I believe this started when I installed Roxio Easy CD Creator 7. When I put a CD in, not only does it not autorun (I have checked the autorun settings), but the computer doesn't even realize I put a disc in until I double click on it. The "disc icon" in my computer doesn't even come up. If you need anymore info, ask and I will tell ya. Thanks!
    I had some wierd and not dissimilar problems with a cd drive a couple of weeks ago

turned out it was the IDE lead had come slightly unseated from the motherboard for some reason - might be worth a look?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    You could also try the device manager,whereby you should uninstall the cd rom in question,then reboot to have windows reinstall the drivers.Also your cd rom or cdrw drive may need a firmware update.Go to the manufacturer"s site and see if they have an update.What kind and which brand cd rom are we talking about?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I would also blow some air into the drive. It's very possible that there is dust in the drive that is preventing a 'correct' read on the disc.

On the other hand, the drive may be failling overall and you're just experiencing the symptons of it. You might want to see if you can pick up a new one. Last i checked cd drives are inexpensive now. You might want to weigh the effort of fixing vs. replace.