Thread: dont use wmp to backup music or else....

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar

dont use wmp to backup music or else....

some did and formatted and couldnt play his songs no more:

Jack Schofield
    Guardian

Thursday August 8, 2002

Catch WMP
    I have been collecting music using Windows Media Player to copy from CDs. When I needed to reformat my hard drive, I copied all my files to CD-R, re-installed my operating system and copied them back, only to find my music would not play.
    Rowan Burgess

Jack Schofield replies: Microsoft's web site says: "By default, Windows Media Player [7.x] is configured to protect content that is copied from a CD to your computer from unauthorized use by using Personal Rights Management. When this feature is enabled, each track that is copied to your computer is a licensed file that cannot be played on any other computer unless you backup and restore your licenses on the other computer."

Reformatting the hard drive has made your PC, in effect, a different computer. Since you did not back up and restore your licenses, there is no obvious way to play the protected files. However, Michael Aldridge, lead product manager in the Windows Digital Media Division at Microsoft in Seattle, says: "There is still a way to get these licenses back and it is pretty easy using our Personal License Migration Service (PLMS), [which] was designed to address the exact situation you outline. The customer just has to be connected to the internet, then they can automatically restore their licenses just by playing the music files in question.

Windows Media Player will recognise that the music had a license and will go out on the web and update their music files with new licenses. All this service does is note these files once had a license and provides a new one. No internet connection is required for playback after that. "If the reader is connected to the internet and this is still not working, it is most likely because they created their music collection with an earlier version of Windows Media Player (7.0) and then upgraded on top of that collection. We did anticipate this scenario and developed a tool to help them update their licenses: the Personal License Update Utility. This must be run before they upgrade their system or transfer their music files to a new PC.

If they don't use this utility they will need to re-create (re-copy) their music CDs into their music library on their PC. Find out more information about this process at www.microsoft.com/ "You can also choose to turn off copy protection when you create your music collection, which can be done easily in any version of [WMP7.x or later].

When you first run Windows Media Player, it will ask if you want to keep copy protection on, and you can turn it off if you wish. If you missed that dialog box, it is still easy to turn off copy protection by going into the Tools|Options menu. Click on the Copy Music tab, and under Copy Settings, uncheck the 'Protect Content' box. In previous versions, this box was called the 'Enable Per sonal Rights Management' check box." Turning off copy protection would seem the best idea.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Good for me that I uncheck the "protect media content" box

hmm...you can unprotect them when using .wma but if you use the mp3 encoder its checked and greyed out. anyone know how to fix that?
    -FrEE

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Originally posted by aKaFrEE
    hmm...you can unprotect them when using .wma but if you use the mp3 encoder its checked and greyed out. anyone know how to fix that?
    Which MP3 encoder?? I do't have any option to encode in MP3 with WMP. I can only use .vwa, .vwa vB, and .vwa pro.
    Unless...you buy an MP3 creation pack, and if you don't have it, it would explain why the MP3 is grayed out

Red face

i have an mp3 encoder pack for WMP but for the "protect media" or whatever it is is checked and locked....i can still encode mp3s but i guess they're protected
    -FrEE

heh..i found a program called Enabler. It allows you to enable those greyed out boxes. So I enabled that box, unchecked it, and immedietly after I unchecked it it greyed itself out but was still unchecked. so now i can rip cds in mp3 format an they are unprotected.

http://www.securitysoftware.cc/Programs/Enabler.exe
    (Thats a direct link to the program because im not sure if any of the other programs are in violation of the rules here at techzonez. and just as a procaution i take no responsibility for what you do with this program and i am providing it for educational purpouses only.)
    -FrEE

thanks for the program
    its very usefull to find running applications

i dont think think MP3's have any built in protection system, so having the grey box checked shouldnt matter at all.

i agree

its for the wmp format that has all the security bs

ive never found an mp3 i couldnt play

forgot to clear that up

thanks