Thread: backweb client

Gold Member

backweb client

I just reinstalled XP Home OS on a friends computer. Everything went well. Then I downloaded AVG, SpyBot, and Easy Cleaner. Then I ran all of them after getting all the updates. Now, when the computer boots up I get the following : RUNTIME ERROR: "Could not load the target dll ("C:\program files\backweb\backweb client\6.2.3.66\program\backweb.dll error code 126)
    This backweb sounds like spyware to me, so I reran adaware, spybot, and easy cleaner, but I still get the message on a startup. Suggestions appreciated, thanks you. Note--I believe I only started getting these messages after I installed Spybot Search & Destroy.

It seems relatively innocuous but it looks like it can be uninstalled if you prefer.

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/pr...76480.exe.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    go into msconfig and uncheck the app that has that path. it was set to run on boot up now that the spyware is missing its popping up that error.

Gold Member
    Thanks sydspirit for the info., but phishhead was on track with removing the item trying to load. I unchecked it from the startup items in msconfig and now, no more error messages. Thanks phishhead !!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Backweb isn't spyware. I think Logitech uses that for its software like web cams and such. McAffee also used to use backweb to update its anti-virus.

Gold Member
    Thanks Conan for the reply. But what should I do know ? Apparently either AdAware or Spybot Search & Destroy removed the program treating it as spyware. Then when the computer would startup, I would get that error message because the computer was looing for the program. If I were able to reinstall whatever was removed, I would no longer be able to use those two spyware programs because they would remove the program again. So, is that backweb really necessary ? McAfee is not loaded on the computer, and there is no web cam installed either.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Did Spybot or AdAware create a backup ? if so use the backup. You could also reinstall the programs effected.

I would no longer be able to use those two spyware programs because they would remove the program again.
    False positives are a way of life for AV/Anti-spy programs, always best to quarantine things until its known safe to remove. Set the programs to "Ask" before removal and use exclutions list for the things not to be removed.

When ever FP's are found they should be sent to the software maker for review, they usally get fixed fast and are included in next update.
    Last edited by FastGame; November 20th, 2005 at 16:00 PM.

Gold Member
    FastGame--I went back into Spybot Search & Destroy. There is a menu on the left side. One of the items is RECOVERY. I clicked on it, and backweb was listed there, so I clicked to recover the selected item, and now the backweb is running again. Then I did another scan, and it was identified again. This time I searched around and there was an option to not detect this item in the future (or something like that). Everything seems to work now. Many thanks to you, and everyone who offered suggestions.