Thread: running process?

running process?

Hi guys! Has anyone heard of a running process named conjp8 or just jp8? I've done a search and come up empty.
    I was fixing a friends computer and ended up doing a format as we couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Every time we killed the process it would add 3 more. Obviously I didn't get it all from the registry, kinda hard when I don't even know what it is I'm dealing with.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I've never heard of it

I think your format idea was good

Sometimes the thing that you can identify as naughty is not the problem. Something running as an attached process via a dll may be creating and running the naughty file. If you use AutoRuns (sysinternals) you can set it to identify non-microsoft dlls which load into programs which is a starting point.

Security Task Manager and Rootkit Revealer also help to identify things which shouldn't be there. Unfortunately sometimes it is quicker and easier to do what you did although using a soft like Acronis True Image can take a lot of the pain out of wiping and reloading.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Thanks Fastgame, I've learned alot from you guys
    Alas, I've found something new to learn as I haven't come across anything I couldn't fix yet.
    @Curio, would that be sysinternals.com, because in my search for a solution I came across a pskill from there. I was going to try a program like process terminator, but didn't know which was better and didn't want to end up downloading even more crap. I never thought of rootkit revealer, thanks, I will check it out just in case (knock wood)
    Thanks for your input.
    Kel

Yes there is alot of stuff that is very useful for identifying malware over at www.sysinternals.com but unfortunately when you start using it you will see how difficult it can be to weed out the nasties. Programs like filemon / regmon enable you to see all the registry and filesystem calls going on while a program runs but there are so many of them it can take you hours to filter through seconds of data.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

yes, I can imagine-computers, great time consumers, I sit down and before I know it, 4 hours has gone by and I didn't even realize.
    Thanks Curio.