Thread: Look Up MAC address for NIC

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Look Up MAC address for NIC

Code:
    Obtaining Your MAC Address

If you cannot find your MAC address in either the box or on the card, please follow the instructions below, depending on your operating system (Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000 Professional, Win XP, Macintosh OS, Macintosh OS X, Solaris/SunOS, Linux, FreeBSD, or HP).

WINDOWS NT / 2000 PROFESSIONAL or XP:

* Using your mouse, click on the Start Button.
        * Click on Programs.
        * Next, click on Accessories, and then Command Prompt.
        * Once a small black window appears, type in ipconfig /all (with a space between the g and the /).
        * Locate the number to the right of Physical Address. This is your MAC address. 

or

* After clicking on the Start Button, click on Run.
        * Type in the word command
        * Click on OK.
        * Once a small black window appears, type in winipcfg.
        * Locate the number to the right of Physical Address. This is your MAC address. 

WINDOWS 95/98/ME:

* After clicking on the Start Button, click on Run.
        * In the white space of the window, type in the word winipcfg
        * Click on "OK".
        * Look under the info for the Ethernet adapter. (Your system may also have a modem.)
        * The number next to "Adapter Address" is your MAC address. 

Macintosh OS (Pre OS X):
    You will need DHCP to be working on your computer. DHCP allows your computer to have access to the artsci.wustl.edu server. In order for DHCP to work on an Apple computer, you must be running system 7.6.1 or higher and have Open Transport installed.

Once you have made sure your Apple computer is running system 7.6.1 or higher, and has Open Transport installed follow the instructions below to find the MAC address of your computer:

* Click the Apple Menu.
        * Click on "Control Panels" to open your control panels folder.
        * Open the "TCP/IP" control panel
        * Go to the Edit Menu
        * Click on User Mode
        * Change the mode to "Advanced" and click "OK".
        * Click on the "Info" button
        * The Hardware address is your MAC address 

Macintosh (OS X):
    If your computer is running OS X, it is best to have it upgraded to at least 10.1

* From the dock, select "System Preferences".
        * Select the "Network" Pane
        * With the TCP/IP tab selected, the number next to Ethernet Address is you MAC addres 

Solaris/SunOS
    On Solaris and SunOS systems, the ethernet device is typically called le0 or ie0. In order to find the MAC address of the ethernet device, you must first become root, through the use of su. Then, type ifconfig -a and look up the relevant info. For example:

# ifconfig -a le0: flags=863 &ltUP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING> inet 131.225.220.144 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 131.225.255.255 ether 8:0:20:f:c2:f8 

Note: Solaris and SunOS strip off the leading 0 commonly included in the MAC address. In the case of this machine, the MAC address is 08:00:20:0f:c2:f8

Linux
    On Linux systems, the ethernet device is typically called eth0. In order to find the MAC address of the ethernet device, you must first become root, through the use of su. Then, type ifconfig -a and look up the relevant info. For example:

# ifconfig -a eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:60:08:C4:99:AA inet addr:131.225.84.67 Bcast:131.225.87.255 Mask:255.255.248.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:15647904 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 TX packets:69559 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 Interrupt:10 Base address:0x300 

The MAC address is the HWaddr listed on the first line. In the case of this machine, it is 00:60:08:C4:99:AA.

FreeBSD
    On a FreeBSD machine the command dmefg will display the MAC address.

HP
    On HP systems, the ethernet device is typically called lan0. In order to find the MAC address of the ethernet device. Then, type lanscan and look up the relevant info. For example:

$ lanscan Hardware Station Dev Hardware Net-Interface NM Encapsulation Mjr Path Address lu State NameUnit State ID Methods Num 2.0.2 0x08000935C99D 0 UP lan0 UP 4 ETHER 52 

Note: HP systems remove the :'s from the MAC address. In the case of this system, the MAC address is 08:00:09:35:C9:9D.
    Source: Washington University

Big Booger,
    I knew the MAC would be on the card, but I also knew there was a way to talk the putr out of it w/o opening the tower. Many thanks! DRB

my networking wizard is telling me that my cable is disconnected...when i know it is not...what now... i have my ethernet cable connected.

LEVATATOR

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It could be several different things but by this thread: http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17398

I assume you got your answer.

how i can get the mac address without being connected to a net?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    What operating system are you running?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Give the NIC a static IP address and plug a cable, then you can run ipconfig.
    Ethereal would also give you the MAC address