Thread: Getting the size prints I want without wasting photo paper

Getting the size prints I want without wasting photo paper

Hi:

Apparently digital photo paper comes in 2 basic sizes: Canonís Photo Paper Pro for 4x6 prints (which wastes paper) and then a 2nd size: 8.5x11 sheets

Fine. The 2nd choice makes it easy to print an 8x10 (approximately anyway).
    But what if you want a 5 x 7?

Sometimes I would like to print 1 wallet size (about 2x3) or 1 3x5 (or 1 3.5 x 5). How do I do that without wasting paper?

Perusing photo printing software on the net I find tons of programs that will print in all the above sizes, but they all seem designed to print a whole bunch of whatever size smallish prints on an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet. I donít want a whole bunch!!!

Is there a program out there that would just let me print just one 2 x 3 or a 3.5 x 5 on, say, Canonís Photo Paper Pro or an 8.5 x 11 sheet; then turn the sheet over or around and use it for a different size print? You see, I never ever want to make multiple copies of a print. Iím not into fancy photo album setups. And I hate to throw away unused bits of paper. It seems such a waste.

I mean Photo Paper Pro gives me a good 4 x 6 print but Iíd like to be able to use the scrap left over from a Photo Paper Pro 4 x 6 print to make a 2 x 3 print.

Of course what Iíd really like to do is to be able to specify the exact size of my prints, say, on an 8 x 10 sheet and then be able to use the left over paper.

So could I have some suggestions as to solutionsÖis there even a good solution out there?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Wumply,
    I seldom print more than one copy of a print. INstead what I do is pool the prints that I want one copy of and then print them out at one go to save paper.

Instead of only printing one wallet and then throwing away the rest of the sheet, why not wait until you have 10-15 images that you only want one copy of and then print them all off on the one sheet.

That is what I and my wife do. We use the print wizard built into XP to do the printing and it allows you to put more than 1 image on a page. There are several options sizes and so on to choose from.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ystoprint.mspx
    Last edited by Big Booger; November 27th, 2005 at 08:55 AM.

BB:

I understand your approach but can't see how it can work for me. I'm just not an album person. Pictures I save for myself I transfer to a CD or if I should want to frame one such, I just print an 8 x 10...no problem. The problem arises when I snap a picture or two my non-computer friend 70 miles away would enjoy or I return from a trip with 10-20 pictures that friend would enjoy.

But I do thank you for your suggestion. I gather you've not run across a program that would do what I want. It seems so simple. Why CAN'T there be packs of wallet size paper, 3.5 x 5 paper, 4x6 paper, 5x7 paper? Then a program to match. Am I the only one who tends towards single prints? Probably not but maybe there just aren't enough of us compared to those who like multiple copies of 1 size. But sometimes we find ourselves locked in to what manufacturers produce. In the days of 35 mm film cameras you had to take 20 or 36 shots to see an individual shot. And you were stuck with 1 speed until the roll was used up. I often wondered why you couldn't have (buy) 1 frame of 35 mm film (for 1 picture) that you could just slip into the camera, take your picture and then replace it. That way you could have seen a given picture much sooner as well as have easily changed the speed at will.

I hadn't noticed your XP link till after I wrote my response, but will check it out now.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Hey!

Just went to that link and I noticed the program put 3 different 4x6 prints on 1 8x10 sheet. And THAT really appeals to me. In fact it's an excellent solution for me. I like the 4x6 size best as a general rule. I should have followed your link before I jumped to conclusions.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Hey!

Just went to that link and I noticed the program put 3 different 4x6 prints on 1 8x10 sheet. And THAT really appeals to me. In fact it's an excellent solution for me. I like the 4x6 size best as a general rule. I should have followed your link before I jumped to conclusions.
    I thought that is what you wanted to do. You can choose the layouts as you desire. My wife went bananas when I showed her how to do that.