Thread: piece of crap dell monitor, on the fritz

piece of crap dell monitor, on the fritz

I have this Dell M992 19" CRT and a few years ago it started developing this problem, it would go black and the power led would blink rapidly (and no this is not the monitor going into power save mode, that blinking is slower). At first I thought it was a power supply issue, but no. The main thing I notice before it does this is that microsoft is operating but nothing else but an explorer window is open. To clarify, when the computer is running the POST it doesnt do this, but a few seconds after windows starts and my desktop appears, it goes black. Then when I turn the power off (on the monitor) and back on again, after a second or 2 it does the same thing. When I am paying a game it happens like every 5min, but that is annoying also. When WMP is open my screen wont go black until i stop moving my mouse and the only movement on screen is from the visualization. The only time when it never turns off is when I am watching a DVD with my comproDVD software and it is full screen.

I am bring this up now because I have been using a different monitor but 2 days ago I "fiddled" with the nVidia direct monitor access thing and I messed that monitor up bad. So I am forced to use this monitor for the time being until I get a new one.

SO any ideas on what has caused this, what is specifically going on, or how to fix it?

I have posted this in the eztechhelp forum click the link below to see their ideas.
    http://www.eztechhelp.com/index.php?showtopic=3060
    Last edited by beelzebub; November 28th, 2005 at 03:08 AM.

hello
    first of all it could be the vedio card proplem or the monitor caple so check them fist by traying them in another computer ....
    good luck
    Last edited by medo; December 2nd, 2005 at 12:33 PM.

medo the lover ....

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I'd try the monitor on a different computer to see if you get the same results.

Seems you already checked on another machine, so obviously it is the monitor.

SInce you already checked the monitor with another PC, I'd check the monitor website to see what procedures to take to reset the monitor to standard settings and I would perform any maintenance required like a degauss.

I would also check the cables, power and video.

TO be honest, if the monitor is shot, you'd be better off upgrading to a large LCD (the power savings alone in one year will make this worth your while).

LCDs in the 19inch range can be had for less than $200.
    Last edited by Big Booger; December 2nd, 2005 at 14:20 PM.

soory i haven't respond to the posts, this problem was almost solved by the time medo responded so I forgot about it. The (temporary) solution can be found here
    http://www.eztechhelp.com/index.php?showtopic=3060
    near the bottom of the thread

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    So you have to run your machine at lower settings? That sucks.

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar
    I had a similar problem, but upgraded the drivers for the monitor and was better than new.