Thread: Does simply adding a 2nd. HD as a slave cause assigned drive letters to change?

Does simply adding a 2nd. HD as a slave cause assigned drive letters to change?

Here's the whole picture and what I've done and what happened so far. I've always only had 1 HD with just 1 partition. But I wanted to make a copy of it, so I bought a 2nd. HD and Norton Ghost 2003.

OK. Today I set the new drive up as a slave (which in this case meant no jumpers were needed.) I left my original drive set as master as far as jumpers were concerned. I didn't do anything with formatting.

So I next physically installed the new HD and connected up cables and power. When I booted up, eveything was just as before. My floppy was A drive, my original HD was C; my card reader was D, my CDROM was E and my CDRW was E. Everything worked as before. No drive letters changed.

I did notice that if I clicked "Add New Hardware" in the Control Panel, and clicked "Next" a few times, the new drive was listed by its serial #. A few more clicks told me only that "it was working properly".

1. Was this behavior what you would have expected? I had half-expected all my drive letters to be changed to some order that included a new letter for the new drive.

2. Am I now ready to go ahead with Norton Ghost 2003 and follow its instructions to copy my original HD to my new HD. (I will be reading Norton Ghost 2003 ReadMe or Help files carefully before I go further in this job and googling as this is all new to me. If I'ml not ready to go ahead, what should I do first?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Wumply,
    The disk copy prgms I've used start with a cd that you run. It instructs you to make a bootable floppy at some point, change the boot order in setup, then the disk utility program boots without Windows even loading. It then analyzes both disks and tells you how you have them connected, and what you can do to the disks. There alot of options (disk copy being the simplest). I've even started with one program for part of the process then switched to another program to finish. I think it's interesting. Let us know how you make out. DRB

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Only on certain situations does adding an additional slave HD change the drive letters... most times it simply uses the next available drive letter, perhaps F or G in your case...

The add new hardware wizard that run as soon as you booted after installing the HD initializes and perhaps formats the HD to be able to be used within windows and also probably assigned the drive letter.

Yep, you should be good to go with Norton Ghost... however, be careful not to overwrite your original hd with the image you are creating... that means, check carefully when you select the source and destination harddrives!!

Also, i think if you formatted the HDs in NTFS, they will not be simply recognised in NORTON, ie it wont say C Drive and or D Drive etc... but perhaps drive 0 device 0 (which would be your master) then drive 1 device 0 would be your slave if it is the only drive connected to the second IDE slot.

Let us know, post screen shots if you can of what you see... its too easy to make a mistake.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I've had this happen to me before as well.As far as i know it's fairly normal.Back when i had my PC setup with a singal drive the letters were set as Floppy=A,Main HDD=C,DVD rom=E,and CD-RW=F later i added a slave 120GB HDD to it and an 80GB HDD and the letters all changed to Floppy=A,Main HDD=C,Second HDD=D,Third HDD=H,DVD Rom=F,CD-RW=G.

According to Wumply's first sentence, He is simply copying his hard disk. This has to be done at a point before Windows uploads. The Drive letters seen in Windows aren't assigned until Windows starts to load. They're not relavent if he's copying his main disk. They would only be important if he was using the second disc as a slave. DRB

Blackhat: Read your post--thanks. As I have Norton Ghost 9 and 2003 too btw, I'll stick with those. But will let you know whatever eventual solution. (See my post re your 2nd. comment in this thread, though.)

Cash_site: The only thing was that my situation appears to have been one of those times where a new drive letter was NOT assigned; nothing was changed when I clicked on "My computer" and "Add New Programs" only referred to the new drive by its model #. I suppose just going ahead with Norton Ghost is an option without knowing whether it will work or not or whether a drive letter will get assigned or not is an option...but I feel like I am going out on a limb. Perhaps though it just won't work rather than screw things up royally. I'll keep this thread posted with developments though.

bhxtyrant: I shall be interested to see what happens to me. Drive letters in your case do not seem to have been added in a logical manner. But then we are dealing with computers and I guess logic is too often not the way things are.

blackhat: But after I installed my 2nd. drive, and turned the computer on Windows did load. And the drive letters that were there when I just had my one HD DID NOT CHANGE. I do see the logic of your statement about drive letters not being relevant when one is just copying a main disk. So you were not surprised that my drive letters did not change and you would just, at this point, go ahead and use Norton Ghost to copy from my original HD to my new HD? And not worry about drive letters? And was I correct in setting things up to copy the way I did--leaving my original HD as master and setting the new HD as slave? Or did I even need to concern myself with that in this case?

Wumply, I'm not familiar with Norton Ghost but I am interested and will check it out. The programs that I'm familiar with, all start with a CD. when you run the CD, it will gather info and enough files to to load its own disc copy toolbox onto a bootable floppy. It will tell you to insert a floppy and copy it. You will probably have to temporarily change your boot order. When you start the machine, it will boot directly to the disc copy software. (Not to Windows). From there it will analyze both discs, tell you what they are, how you have them connected, and what you can do to them in the current configuration.(copy, change partitions,etc.) After you successfully copy, you probably wont be able to use the copy to run until you set the copied disc as a stand-alone master and go back into the disk utility program and activate the partition on that disk(you can only have one active partition at a time). Then either disk should run. (you may have to run auto detect HDD in setup)
    As far as dragging the 2nd into Windows as a slave, It is perfectly fine and the Drive Letters should change, But that set-up (which alot of people use for various reasons) has nothing to do with a simple disk copy. Have Fun and keep in touch!! DRB

The "programs you're familiar with" sound like a simple way to do things. Norton Ghost had to be (and has been) loaded onto my current HD. What's the name of the program on a CD that you've used?

Blackhat: Hi!

Just read the Norton Ghost 2003's "Creating a Backup Image file in the program's Help Menu. truck me as pretty straightforward. What did you think of it. (I suspect Ghost 9.0 is pretty similar.)