Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XP PRO after 2 months=......!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

XP PRO after 2 months=......!

nothing but junk Constant 0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when I'm on the net , did all M$ said to remedy= Tried all drivers for modem= junk , junk , junk..

XP PRO keeps installing 2 modems and I only have 1=

Xp PRO keeps installing 3 game controllers and I only have 1= junk , junk , junk= XP PRO

Constant Page Faults= =junk XP PRO= you know by now I'm....

XP PRO won't let me use DMA mode on my DVD-Rom= I don't need to tell ya how I feel , but I will one more time

And to top it all off now I can't even use sfc /scannow because the piece of junk XP PRO tells me that I don't have the right XP CD in my non DMA DVD drive....ya right what's next a fire inside my box LOL...HaHa...

I have two HD's inside my box , one has XP (piece of junk)PRO and the other has XP (works flawless) Home . That means that all the hardware & drivers are the same for XP PRO and XP Home . All software is the same , I've installed Both XP PRO & Home numerous times and XP Home is always trouble free...XP PRO always has the same problems !

I would give this XP PRO to anyone who wants it for Free but the reason I won't is because I don't want this or any Forum to be over run by mass problems...LOL..HaHa..Ah HA HA HA !

Ok I feel better now... Hmmm wonder if SP1 could help any

same thing for me, after using it for around 2-3 months without a reformat, it starts to run very unstable and BSOD's , ugh..

Which is exactly why i switched to win2k for the time being.. if XP becomes better with SP1, i'll be glad to go back, but for now, i'm with my old friend 2k with service pack 3

Blackwar

Titanium Member
    Gee..............I just did a clean install of Pro. I hope I don't end up having problems.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I bet if you guys did a clean install and refused to tweak the hell out of your os it would work...I am the first one to admit...I try all kinds of tweak prog, reg hacks and system tweaks...and eventually they catch up and I have to reformat all over again. try a fresh install and don't screw with it bet it would last longer.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    xp pro running great on 750mhz
    7month install
    no sevice packs
    used daily
    the bosses computer does what its told

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I got that on a laptop recently. I tell you how I fixed it. I did the sfc /scanonce instead of scannow it does it on reboot. I did a chkdsk. I did a system restore. I got rid of all the programs I had recenlty installed. Meaning I used regcleaner and manually removed the registry entries of a few programs, after I deleted them using add/remove from the control panel. I then booted into the BIOS and made sure PNP OS was disabled..
    Now it boots without that stupid IRQ_IS_ BULLSHIT
    blue screen of death.

That is how I fixed it.
    Fastgame, have you tried repairing your installation from the XP pro cd? SImply put the disk in, restart, boot from the disk, and follow the steps as if you were going to reinstall. Then when it asks, choose to repair your current installation. It will take a while but I think that might help...
    Keep us updated.

About the DMA mode with your DVD drive, first read this page try the advice offered

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...310751&GSSNB=1

If this does not cure the problem, set PIO only mode on both controllers & reboot,
    then right click on the Prim IDE Channel then select Scan for hardware changes, repeat
    on the Sec IDE Channel reboot, then check if the "DMA if available" option is there
    select it and again reboot

This problem can recur if Windows XP detects more than a few DMA errors in a period
    it will force the controllers back to the PIO mode

If this happens check with your Motherboard maker for updated Chipset drivers

I hope this helps

One other thing, make sure you are logged in as the administrator, so you can see the changes and make them.
    Make sure your drivers for your MOBO chipset are up to date. if you have a VIA chipset, get the latest 4in1 drivers, etc...
    BB
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 10th, 2002 at 23:49 PM.

Titanium Member
    ....................and make sure you are not trying to boot off MSN Frontpage CD. LOL!

Ok guys....let me explain.

First of all , my XP's have always been a clean install. Why is it that XP Home is always the one trouble free ? All with the exact same hardware , drivers , software....

My XP's have not been tweaked in the least bit , all are stock as of now. In the past XP Home has been tweaked with great success and never a problem that couldn't be fixed in a flash. I dare not touch XP PRO , it can't even handle it's self let alone a tweak...lol

The only reason I've installed XP Home numerous times is in upgrading my HD and in test of the effects of WPA...XP Home is trouble free in all accounts !

The only reason I've installed XP PRO numerous times is in quest of a fix for the problems it has ! maybe I have a bad model number of XP PRO ?

BB thanks for the DMA info...I tried that awhile back and I found a fix...it's called use my XP Home..hehe I will give your other suggestions a try though

I've had XP Home since it came out and I'm very happy with it. I would surf the net at all the XP forums , not because I had a problem but in search of better understanding & knowledge of the OS. I would see all the problems people were having and I would say to my self how the heck can that be...my XP is stable as hell....well now I know.....need I say more ?

As far as I'm concerned Our Buddy Blackwar sums it up best...
    same thing for me, after using it for around 2-3 months without a reformat, it starts to run very unstable and BSOD's , ugh..

Which is exactly why i switched to win2k for the time being.. if XP becomes better with SP1, i'll be glad to go back, but for now, i'm with my old friend 2k with service pack 3

Blackwar
    Blackwar it's nice that you have such a strong friend to lean on in hard times...I too have such a friend...his name ?....XP Home

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Take 6 Beers and reformat 2X a month for a trouble free XP Pro installation.

Seriously, I haven't encountered any serious problems with XP Pro. Just like Phish, I tweak the hell out of it, out of boredom. When the tweaks catch up with me, then I reformat!

I have only had one major problem since I first starting running xp, and that was it would BSOD when ever I used 3D acceleration...the nvidia loop prob. Which was due to my mobo not working well with its drivers and Geforce 3 card under xp. So I went out and got another mobo and the problem was solved.
    Since then its been flawless, I do teak a bit but always backup my reg file and constantly create system restore points before loading any beta or unfamiliar programs. Other than that its been a great O/S, and I will continue to use it until something better comes along
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I think SP1 should fix some of these errors. I mean all those error reports and the people sending them in had to generate quite a flurry at Redmond.
    If Home is your forte, by all means run it like a mad demon LOL

I haven't had any issues on 3 PCs installed with XP pro. As I said before I had that IRQ crap on another laptop, and after doing the steps I stated above, it no longer does it. I actually think it was Norton antivirus or one of the system updates from MS, because when I did the restore I went all the way back, and now it works flawlessly.

I also think that XP will respond differently to different hardware setups and configurations. I am guessing that your Home version came with your PC right FG? It's probably configured to work best on your Hardware.
    It is strange though that XP Home works great, but XP pro does not...
    That is beyond me...
    Just wait for the official SP1, update all your drivers, that is if you want to keep the Pro version.
    BB

Titanium Member
    As some of you know, I recently did a "clean" install of XP Pro from the "Go-Pro" kit that was offered by MS a while back. My question is what is this SP1 I keep hearing about? Am I missing something?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by lynchknot
    As some of you know, I recently did a "clean" install of XP Pro from the "Go-Pro" kit that was offered by MS a while back. My question is what is this SP1 I keep hearing about? Am I missing something?
    SP1= Service Pack 1. It is a collection of updates and fixes for windows XP. It is a big one approximately 120mb or so. The final release will come out late this month.

Titanium Member
    Is it the DL's from the "Windows Update" or is this something entirely different. I DLed all the critical updates but left out 15 Xp updates because I thought I didn't need them.
    Last edited by lynchknot; August 11th, 2002 at 04:14 AM.

Originally posted by Big Booger
    I also think that XP will respond differently to different hardware setups and configurations. I am guessing that your Home version came with your PC right FG? It's probably configured to work best on your Hardware.
    It is strange though that XP Home works great, but XP pro does not...
    That is beyond me...
    Just wait for the official SP1, update all your drivers, that is if you want to keep the Pro version.
    BB
    No BB all my computers are custom built as in FastGame Custom Computers. I build custom computers for people in my area (34 to date) and out of the 34 only three have come back , 0ne Win 98 machine that had a bad IDE cable and two XP PRO machines , one was getting the NV4 infinite loop & the other was a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL that I was able to fix.

To be fair to this thread and to XP PRO in general I must add that the XP PRO I'm using is an evaluation issue so maybe these problems are inherent to this model of XP PRO ? if so it's certainly not my intension to sway one's view of XP PRO , nor do I feel I have the power to do so (sway one's view) I'm just stating the facts from my experience with the model of XP PRO I'm running.

Anyway this thread and the response from all of you , has given me inspiration to go forward...I went looking for drivers for my modem. I found a driver thats in between the XP in box driver and the latest up to date driver. So far I'm surfing & running a few net based programs that in the past would've given me the 0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL by now...so far so good , knock on wood I still need to work on the DMA issue.....

Bottom line to all this , I find it odd that in the same box XP Home has no issue's what so ever and XP PRO does...Oh Well

Thanks to all

[edit]= Hey I'm an Austin Powers Member now
    Last edited by FastGame; August 11th, 2002 at 05:28 AM.