Thread: Saving a Website to a Hard Drive

Saving a Website to a Hard Drive

I'm in the process of researching my family tree and I've found a website in www.archive.org with 10,000+ relatives in it. I've failed to contact the Author of the website and as there are such a large number of individuals in the tree it would be easier for me to save the website to my HD so that I can look at it in my spare time.

Are there any programs that would rip the site to my HD? even if they are hosted in www.archive.org?

Thanks
    Sian

Banned
    why don't you make that link offline? Bassicaly the whole site, so that you may view it without going on the internet.

Would I have to make each page offline? if so it will take me ages!

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    SurfOffline 1.4 - Offline browser

If you need to download a website, use the offline browser SurfOffline. We offer you a free 30-day trial period to test SurfOffline

Most of us get easily irritated, while waiting for some picture or file to be downloaded, especially when you are in a hurry. But all of this can be avoided with a offline browser. With SurfOffline, you can set a desired website to be downloaded and take a coffee break. In a few minutes, all contents of the website will migrate to your hard drive and you will be able to browse it at the speed of light.

SurfOffline is a fast and convenient offline browser with easy navigation and simple interface. Capable of downloading up to 100 files simultaneously, this application can save a website to your hard drive completely or partially in just minutes. Another important feature is a wizard like interface that enables the users to quickly set up downloading rules. Importantly, the program supports HTTP, SSL(HTTPS), FTP, proxy servers, CSS, Macromedia Flash and JavaScript parsing.

The program comes with a full powered download manager that lets the users decide which files should be downloaded and which ones avoided. For example, if you are interested in pictures only, you can set the program to download JPEG files only, avoiding all the others. There also are size and location filters. The downloading process can be paused or stopped any time and resumed later. Among the advance options is the capability to transfer information to the server about the browser used (Agent Identity, for example, Netscape Navigator or Mozilla). Built-in HTTP server lets you share downloaded files with other computers via Intranet. Also, SurfOffline comes with support for HTTP and FTP authorization, sessions, and cookies. Program's built-in internal browser lets you download websites with webforms that require authentication.

Best of all, the program is distributed as shareware, which entitles you to a free 30 day trial.

Supported OS: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP

free 30 day trial.
    http://www.surfoffline.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Banned
    hmm, 40 bucks, not so bad for a sophisticated, high rated, software

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    SuperBot 4.2 for Windows

SuperBot can download files, folders, or entire websites with as little as one click. Thanks to its HTML rewriting technology, copied sites look and feel like the online versions.
    SuperBot will help you to:
    • Browse at faster speeds, by loading files directly from your hard drive
    • View websites without an Internet connection
    • Archive pictures, videos, sounds and other Net content on your computer
    • Create functional and editable mirrors of online sites
    • Browse a website's internal structure and organization
    • Sanitize children's browsing by creating a "sandbox" of age-appropriate material
    • Create autorun CDs and DVDs of your favorite sites
    Unlike other offline browsing tools, SuperBot is both powerful and easy to use. Features include:
    • Customizable download filters: file size, file type, location, and many more
    • Fast, multithreaded file downloads
    • Support for HTTP, HTTPS and FTP protocols
    • Stop, resume and update individual file transfers and site copies
    • Built-in password manager for copying protected sites
    • Job queueing and automation
    For a comprehensive list of SuperBot's award-winning features, please see the operators manual.
    Competitive feature matrix
    Try Before You Buy

A free 30-day trial version of SuperBot is available for evaluation purposes.
    http://www.sparkleware.com/superbot/

anyone know of any freeware applications that can do this?
    egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

This one's free:
    http://www.httrack.com/

there's a synchronize option in MSIE. it downloads the whole site on your HDD.