Thread: video card problem, please help!

video card problem, please help!

Hey guys I have a question from another forum http://www.xfxforce.com/forums/threa...=2451&tstart=0 I have this same problem. Does anyone here have any suggestions on what to do?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Monitor displays "no video input" with new XFX 7800GT
    Posted: Dec 15, 2005 11:48 AM
    Click to reply to this thread Reply

I recently purchased an XFX 7800GT along with a P5ND2-SLI motherboard and some corsair memory. When I finished putting it together, I went to boot up, and it started up fine, but the monitor wouldn't display a picture. The lights and fan on the card are on but it refuses to display a picture. I'm using a 450W PSU and I don't have a lot of things that it's powering, so I highly doubt it's a power issue, but I've talked to some people and they recommended I try clearing the CMOS. That didn't work either. I tried different monitors (had to use a DVI-VGA adapter since I don't have any DVI monitors) but still no video. It has been suggested to me that I might have "fried" something essential because it's cold and dry here and I wasn't wearing an anti-static band, but I was wondering if anyone else here had this issue and knows of a way to fix it. Anything short of sending it back for a replacement (which is probably what I'm going to end up doing) would be helpful. Thanks.
    In case that forum ever becomes unreachable.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    try the card in another machine to see if it is indeed fried. A friend of mine had this very problem with a 6800GT and it was a bad card.

Such are the pains of handling electronics on a cold dry day. Mostly beacasue of touching the metallic conducting parts like capacitiors etc component leads etc...
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

hi guys, sorry to bump such an old topic but i'm having the exact same issue here except with a BFG 7900 GTX OC. I have the same mobo P5ND2-SLI and my display is all screwy. I know everything else is working because windows xp loads and i can maneuver through my BIOS blindly because nothing is readable. I previously had a 6600 which worked perfectly fine. I did install a REALLY old basic PCI videocard which had some messed up display so i got rid of it. Is it possible that thats somehow related? I havent tried any other cards yet though.

this is really pissing me off. after saving so much for a 7900 this is what i get. screwy ass display.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Dumb question, but are these cards pci express and not agp?....

PCI Express. The videocard comes with a DVI-VGA adapter so it works with monitors without DVI input. However, i find that the only signal i get is with the DVI-VGA adapter. If i plug it in my monitor with only DVI, i get absolutely no display. The TV output has the same effect also. I'm gonna try the videocard in another computer and see how it is. Hopefully its not the vid card.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Are you sure your power supply is powerful enough for the card ? that card is power hungry.

Also make sure your case is getting plenty of fresh air, card run hot.

mypower supply is 500w. the fan on the card is spinning so i guess its working. my system doesnt seem to be going off randomly either so i'm not sure if its the psw. i'll try removing a few things see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by ruph
    I did install a REALLY old basic PCI videocard which had some messed up display so i got rid of it. Is it possible that thats somehow related?
    Sounds like more than a coincidence to me.

If possible, get your hands on another "working" comp with PCI-E and swap the cards.

I know it's a tall ask and a bit obvious.

Oh... and b.t.w. - I wouldn't say "Hopefully it's not the video card".... you may be right.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

i tried removing most of my devices off the power supply and it still has the same effect. i also tried it on my brother's computer which is using my old 6600 that is fully functional. same thing happened. looks like its my video card. the tech support for BFG werent much help either. they kept telling me its the drivers or my motherboard and refuse to admit its the card. i'm gonna have to return it for another one

is the display affected if not enough power is going through the card? i know its power hungry but what exactly happens to these cards if they do not get enough power?

From my experience, Graphics cards that don't get enough power usually run graphic intensive software (usually a game) for a minute or so, then lock up hard forcing a manual reboot.
    They were fine looking in "normal" vga.

I'm pretty sure they only suck up the big juice when they are real-time rendering.

Returning your video card sounds like a good start, at least if they check it and it's o.k. you can explain your problem, and maybe get some vendor advice.

Sorry I can't be of more help, maybe somone else here knows more, they are a knowledgeable bunch.

Good luck with it, keep us up to date with your progress.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho