Thread: Cannot launch games that use DX: "Entry Point Not Found"

Cannot launch games that use DX: "Entry Point Not Found"

Hello all,

This is very similar to a another thread on these forums, but I didn't want to trample on the original post . . .

I am unable to launch games (and presumably any other software) that require DirectX after having recently installed its latest release. The error message displays:

programName.exe – Entry Point Not Found
    The procedure entry point GetRawInputDeviceInfoW could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll.

Running dxdiag yields a similar message. Having scoured the Internet, I gather that this is a somewhat common issue, but I have yet to come upon a successful remedy. Like me, most people who report this sport Windows 2000 SP 4 and DirectX 9.0c. I’ve reinstalled Windows (via the “repair” method), DX, and the games themselves in several different orders, but the results are all identical. I have also tried sfc /scannow which accomplished nothing. I’m fairly confident that I am free of viruses and spyware.

It is probably worth nothing that, initially, I was greeted by the following error, which also reared its head in dxdiag:

programName.exe – Entry Point Not Found
    The procedure entry point DdEntry1 could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll.

However, simply renaming the d3d8thk file and placing it in the system32 directory, as is often recommended, managed to solve that issue easily enough. I am hoping that a similar solution exists for the other problem.

I’d be grateful for any assistance! Thank you for your time and patience.

~ Matt

Bronze Member
    I think DirectX 9.0c is not properly installed. Uninstall DirectX 9.0c using this tool, install previous version of DirectX and see if the problem is solved. Then try installing DirectX 9.0c again.

Have you possible looked into your video drivers? Clean uninstall and reinstall with updated drivers, since it's the video drivers that need to talk to DX. Try reinstalling DX as Kane mentioned along with the video drivers. Then try dxdiag again.
    http://www.eztechhelp.com

Want your own website? Check out an easy to use CMS system at http://ezcms.eztechhelp.com

Thanks, all. Rolling back DX and then reinstalling 9.0c did the trick.

Bronze Member
    Great, glad it worked