Thread: ATI Rage 128 Pro Problems setting new driver

ATI Rage 128 Pro Problems setting new driver

I've had the file to update the driver on my ATI Rage 128 Pro sitting on my desktop for a couple months now - knowing it would be a bugger. I got a new LCD (Samsung 730B) for Christmas, and decided I should go ahead and update.

After fixing my autoexec.nt file, first problem encountered, I ran into a new unexpected twist. The latest driver for ATI Rage 128 Pro - WXP_R128_6_13_3279.exe Windows XP Display Driver for ATI RAGE 128 / RAGE128 PRO - says "This display driver is not compatible with the display adapter(s) in your system."

I got the driver directly from the ATI site, as you can see it is listed for my adapter. Well? I had to uninstall the old driver to install the new driver, so now Windows has reverted to an even older ATI driver. This morning I awoke to a "your system has recovered from a serious error" message. Suspecting the old driver that I had once updated to be a problem, I went ahead and sent the error report so I could see what Microsoft said - other than install SP2. I was right. It was caused by the old driver which was automatically installed by XP when I removed the driver to do the install. They said to contact ATI, which no longer supports the "legacy" Rage Pro 128.

Now, I'm a bit shy about removing the driver and attempting again, and disgusted enough that I might jsut tear the computer apart (after long tedious hours of research and another expensvie purchase) and put in a new card. In all my research, I've discovered that ATI cards can be a bugger to work with. But, I figured I'd see if someone here might have just the solution to this dilemma. I'd like to get the updated driver installed.

Thanks for any help.

My suggestion is to go to windowsupdate.com and let it find the Microsoft digitally signed driver for that card automatically and install it. That would be the most current stable driver for that older card.
    http://www.eztechhelp.com

Want your own website? Check out an easy to use CMS system at http://ezcms.eztechhelp.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, and not only did it not work, it made things absolutely the worst they could get. Somehow the "updated" driver Microsoft downloaded and installed via Windows Update set me to prehistoric graphics - yes! Pre 800x600 and pre 16 Bit! Talk about LARGE icons and funky colors. (I remembered very quickly upon going to Windows Update with Firefox why it is I don't bother with the Microsoft updates anymore. Had to resurect IE just to update) It was an easy undo with a rollback and restart though. I'm now back to the 2001 driver though, and would still love to update it, even though I've not seen the serious error shut-down again. Any other suggestions?