Thread: temperature

Silver Member

temperature

im running on the stock heatsink and fan for my athlon 64 3000+ which i currently ahve overclocked to the 3800+ speed at 2.43ghz and when i rant he S&M test like fastgame told me i should the highest temp that it reached was 62C is that too hot for the cpu...should i look into something besides the stock cooler? if so what do u guys recommend? i still have my old thermaltake extreme volcano 12 heatsink and fan but i know the heatsink isnt compatable with my motherboard so should i look into a heatsink solution such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106045 and just pop on the fan from my volcano or what...any suggestions are appriciated anything that will help my system last as long as possible

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Fastgame is the man to ask about this.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    If you're running S&M set to max then 62c seems about right, I think S&M is the most heat generating stability tester I've used.

I use this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106038 which is basically the same as you link to but with a loud fan. My S&M temp is 61c, most everything else I run or do the temp never goes above 55c.

Also you can't really trust the temperature readings so always try to keep them low as possible.

BTW did you pass the S&M test ?
    Last edited by FastGame; December 31st, 2005 at 05:17 AM.

Silver Member
    ya i passed the S&M test but it was only on 75% load not 100% i ight have to try 100 and see what happends then

Silver Member
    now im starting to have restarts when i play half-life 2 at 1600x1200 6xAA 16xAF and all details on high so i figure its due to heat which it probably is so i set the clock speeds back to normal and all voltages back to normal and i order some arctic silver 5 and an arctic silver cooler rev 3 for my 7800gt so all the hot air is vented out the back of the case instead of back into the case and then when that comes and is installed ill prolly drill a hole in the bottom of my case and mount another fan so it blows nice cold air directly onto the cooler and we will see how things go from there but if i continue to have problems can u guys recomend any good coolers that will keep my baby ice cold and by coolers i mean air not water i dont have the money for water cooling yet by the way i have a Jetway 939 GT motherboard so find something compatable with it please
    Last edited by Nate89; January 2nd, 2006 at 03:08 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    now im starting to have restarts when i play half-life 2 at 1600x1200 6xAA 16xAF and all details on high so i figure its due to heat which it probably is so i set the clock speeds back to normal and all voltages back to normal and i order some arctic silver 5 and an arctic silver cooler rev 3 for my 7800gt
    Usually (not always) you'll get hard lockups & artifacts when there's too much heat. Most crashes & restarts are from memory erros or driver conflicts. If your ram gets too hot that'll cause memory erros.

Your idea of exhausting the video card heat is a good one, if you feel the top side of the GPU there's tons of heat pouring out....most of which is going straight into the CPU cooling fan I used a small piece of fishpaper and made a shroud for my vcard to keep the heat directed towards the rear exhaust and away from the CPU. Try mounting small fan above your memory banks.

Also- why are you using 6xAA with 1600x1200 res ? unless you have huge monitor you don't need 6xAA @1600x1200. I run @1600x1200 on 19" with no AA and don't see the jags, unless its a real crappy coded game.....

Silver Member
    ehhh its just kinda cool to be able to say u can do that i guess thats the only reason y i do that and as far as a fan for the ram ill see what the vga cooler does and if that doesnt help then ill end up puttin a fan there which ill prolly do anyway just for that lil bit of extra cooling but where should i mount it? make it blow air from the front of the case towards the back, the bottom of the case blowing up, or the top of the case blowing down? also after i get my vga cooler if that doesnt help my cpu temps too much ill look into a fan to cool that with since the cooler things stay the longer they last if i do end up getting a new heatsink and fan i still have my old Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 on the table beside me so should i take the fan off of that and get something simple like This or how bout the Blue Orb II or even buying the Thermaltake CL-P0114 and replacing the stock fan with one like this Thermaltake A2018 so it passes a lot more air thus cooling the heatsink more...or should i just not worry about it at all? open for all suggestions please and thanks
    Last edited by Nate89; January 3rd, 2006 at 05:23 AM.

Silver Member
    any comments at all?