Thread: Back to laser printer

Back to laser printer

I am tired of purchasing ink cartridges for my Lexmark X73 printer. Finally decided to look at lasers. My needs are modest. I probably average 8 - 10 copies a day.

On the internet, I found a good deal on a Konica Minolta Page Pro 1350W recertified with a one year warranty. The price was $59. With $19 shipping the final price was $78.

I intended to order it yesterday on my return from travel to travel to the big city, Jonesboro, AR. While there I walked into an Office Depot. They had the same printer new, with a instant $100 rebate. The final price was $49 plus tax. It is fast, 21ppm and text quality is excellent.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    I am tired of purchasing ink cartridges for my Lexmark X73 printer. Finally decided to look at lasers. My needs are modest. I probably average 8 - 10 copies a day.

On the internet, I found a good deal on a Konica Minolta Page Pro 1350W recertified with a one year warranty. The price was $59. With $19 shipping the final price was $78.

I intended to order it yesterday on my return from travel to travel to the big city, Jonesboro, AR. While there I walked into an Office Depot. They had the same printer new, with a instant $100 rebate. The final price was $49 plus tax. It is fast, 21ppm and text quality is excellent.
    What is the price of the toner cartridges used by the laser printers? I know they last for a long time, but I am just wondering what the costs compared are.

I think laser is the way to go. I and my wife spend a fortune on photo paper, photo cartridges, and regular ink. As teachers we both print tons and tons of materials daily... I've been wanting to buy one of those huge Xeror copy machines, but they're a bit expensive. I found a few used for around $2500, but I am wary about buying used copy machines

Good luck on your laser purchase. I think it is a wise decision, and I'd only use the lexmark when you want to do color photos or something like that.

Cheapest toner catridge that I have found so far is here. LINK

The black ink cartridge yield for the Lexmark X73 is approximately 1100. The yield on the toner cartridge above is 6000.
    Last edited by efc; January 5th, 2006 at 15:37 PM.

Cheapest toner catridge that I have found so far is here. LINK
    6000 page yield replacement

so how many pages do you get out of your typical inkjet on a per cartridge to price basis?

I should think the laser printer will far out do the inkjet, but then again, it depends on the inkjet, price of the ink, and so on.

For black and white printing, it's a no brainer...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    6000 page yield replacement

so how many pages do you get out of your typical inkjet on a per cartridge to price basis?

I should think the laser printer will far out do the inkjet, but then again, it depends on the inkjet, price of the ink, and so on.

For black and white printing, it's a no brainer...
    The black ink cartridge yield for the Lexmark X73 is approximately 1100. The yield on the toner cartridge above is 6000.

What is the cost of the lexmark black ink cartridge? The toner is 69.99.

At 69.99 for 6000 pages, that's about .011 cents per page... or a penny a page.

If the lexmark cartridges yield 1100 pages, then 5-6 cartridges being less than 69.99, you've done a good deal.

Which appears to be the case:

Lexmark remanufactured 12a1970 black inkjet cartridge
    Regular price: $21.99
    Sale price: $19.99, 4/$72.00

http://www.4inkjets.com/lexrem12a1bl.html
    Last edited by Big Booger; January 5th, 2006 at 15:47 PM.

I have bought ink cartridges at the local Wal-Mart for $28.99. At that price, it would cost nearly $180 to get a yield of 6000.

Silver Member
    u know u can buy the refill kits instead of new cartirdges every time now remember i just turned 17 like 5 days ago so obviously i still live at home and my mom maybe like 2-3 months ago bought one of these for the first time and i had to do it go figure its not messy at all and its way cheaper then buying new cartridges every time u need more ink and the color looks exactly the same that it used to try figuring out those costs

Nate89 - I have tried the refill kits. Only a few times has it been successful. Most times the quality of print was poor. And with me - it was messy.

I have bought ink cartridges at the local Wal-Mart for $28.99. At that price, it would cost nearly $180 to get a yield of 6000.
    That's quite a bit of savings. In fact, if you do any photo printing at all, I'd buy a photo cartridge for your lexmark, and some photo paper and make it an exclusive colour photo printer, and use the laser for everything else.

My local tech newpaper that comes supplementary every Tuesday to the main paper says that Inkjet printers are cheap. In fact so cheap that manufacturers sell them at a loss. Only to recoup this loss by selling ink cartridges. Ink cartridges are expensive firstly because brands like Canon insist on putting new printing heads with every cartridge. Secondly, the page yield is quite low compared to laser. So you spend money buying more cartridges than buying photo paper!

Lasers are expensive at first becasue of the more complicated mechanics. Toner cartridges are huge in volume! Print and print and print!
    There are some coloured laser printers but thats really expensive and not cost worthy when printing photos compared to doing it with inkjets. (Unless you print photos in mass numbers)
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    That's quite a bit of savings. In fact, if you do any photo printing at all, I'd buy a photo cartridge for your lexmark, and some photo paper and make it an exclusive colour photo printer, and use the laser for everything else.
    I used to use a strategy like that, having an Epson Stylus Photo 880 for colour stuff and an ancient (12 years old) Apple Laserwriter Pro 630 for B/W stuff.

The old laser printer is very slow, but I can live with that. On the other hand, the colour printer was used so little, that every time I needed a colour print, I had to clean it many times, so I got an extremely low page yield out of the cartridges.

These days, I need colour more, since I've started my own business. Since I can write off the printer cost , I decided that a new printer would be the perfect christmas gift for myself, and a great way to cut some taxes too...

The features I need in a printer is networking and Mac/PC connectivity, and I decided I want duplex printing as well (nice, but not essential).

After a few trial runs with a relatively cheap colour laser printer (a Xerox Phaser 6200DN), which has a very poor mac driver and moderate photo quality, I found that the very cheapest colour lasers wouldn't cut it. The print quality for photos are not quite as good as the ink jets, and very often the mac drivers would be poor or non-existent. Also, I occasionally use older mac software that doesn't work well with raster printers - meaning I need Postscript. Preferably the real stuff from Adobe, but emulation will do - I'm no that picky

After some searching for an alternative, I discovered that one of my business partners ran a campaign on the Xerox Phaser 8550 DP wax printer. $1050 would net me one of these beauties. Since I get a rebate on everything I buy from them, I jumped at it. (The cheapest version in the US, with lower resolution, less RAM and no duplex is $699 after a $200 mail-in rebate).

The printer does have a poorer "mileage" than a laser. A sixpack of black ink sticks (6000 pages) runs at $89, while a 3-pack (3000 pages) of cyan, magenta or yellow sticks costs about the same. After 10000 pages, you need a maintenance kit, which is available in standard size (10K pages) at $100 or a extra capacity one (30K pages) for $150. It's really simple to add supplies - just pop open a small lid and drop the ink sticks into a hole. The various colours have different shapes, so the sticks will only fit into the right hole.

Colours are vibrant and glossy on regular paper (though not as photo-like as a good inkjet on photopaper), but the best part of it is the speed and simplicity. The time to print for the first page of 5 seconds and 30 ppm.

I really like this one...

Printing costs:
    B/W prints: $0.02/page
    Colour prints: $0.11/page
    (I presume my colour usage is a bit cheaper than this, for a lot of it is a simple logo at the top of a page and so on)

I use regular office copier paper, which works nicely. A wax printer can print on pretty much anything you can put through it, but I wouldn't want to ry to print on tortillas

Disadvantages are:
    10 minutes of warmup time from power saving mode - mainly to heat up the wax.
    You need to keep it powered all the time, or you'll waste a lot of wax. Each power-up will waste $5 worth of wax for cleaning the print head.
    Higher printing costs than a laser. (Not relevant in my case, since I don't print huge numbers of pages each day).

Johan-Kr
    Last edited by Fenalaar; January 11th, 2006 at 02:26 AM.
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao
    My local tech newpaper that comes supplementary every Tuesday to the main paper says that Inkjet printers are cheap. In fact so cheap that manufacturers sell them at a loss. Only to recoup this loss by selling ink cartridges. Ink cartridges are expensive firstly because brands like Canon insist on putting new printing heads with every cartridge. Secondly, the page yield is quite low compared to laser. So you spend money buying more cartridges than buying photo paper!

Lasers are expensive at first becasue of the more complicated mechanics. Toner cartridges are huge in volume! Print and print and print!
    There are some coloured laser printers but thats really expensive and not cost worthy when printing photos compared to doing it with inkjets. (Unless you print photos in mass numbers)
    Not to mention, that a new ink-jet only comes with half filled cartridges, so that you need to change that cartridge very soon...

Laser printers aren't that expensive anymore - neither in b/w or colour - the cheapest colour models will run you around $250. The colour quality on the cheap models will not be as good as an inkjet of decent quality, but still ok. To get good quality photos, you need to use special paper.

Oh - BTW...
    If you want an inkjet anyway - go for a slightly more expensive business model. These models are better built and the ink is cheaper. Never buy an inkjet that doesn't have separate cartridges for each colour!

Johan-Kr
    Last edited by Fenalaar; January 11th, 2006 at 02:21 AM.
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.