Thread: Mild update

Silver Member

Mild update

after putting on the arctic vga cooler on my 7800gt my cpu temps dropped 3 degrees C and so did my system temps and i re-ran S&M and theit only got up to 58C instead of 62C like the first time as far as my video card the idle temps dropped from around 45C to 38C under load i dont know yet because i have yet to play any games....other thoughts since im still on stock cooling on my cpu should i look into something a little beefier such as taking the fan off my old Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 and getting a Thermaltake CL-P0006 or should i get a Thermaltake Blue orb II or possibly invest into a Thermaltake CL-P0114...or justs hut up and keep on with my stock heatsink and fan since it serves me pretty well....another thing since im overclocking my ram and all and as some of u may know when running at a high fsb my system will sometimes restart and fastgame said it could be due to the ram overheating should i place a fan directly over the ram or above it or anything.....suggestions and comments are appriciated

Silver Member
    well this is fun it seems that even after that if i set the fsb(i know its not actually fsb but thats what im used to callin it so bare with me) to 270 my computer still restarts while playing half-life 2 but i think that that is the only game that it does it in could this possibly be a power issue instead i currently have an ENERMAX Whisper 460W but im thinkin about upgrading to an OCZ Powerstream 520W

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate89
    well this is fun it seems that even after that if i set the fsb(i know its not actually fsb but thats what im used to callin it so bare with me) to 270 my computer still restarts while playing half-life 2 but i think that that is the only game that it does it in could this possibly be a power issue instead i currently have an ENERMAX Whisper 460W but im thinkin about upgrading to an OCZ Powerstream 520W
    Does your PC only restart when playing Halflife 2 or is there any other time that it restarts?

Silver Member
    ya basically so right now i have the fsb at 255 and ht of 4 do u think its a mem problem with not enough cooling or what? i can play half-life 2 and i dont know if this is a coincidence or not but the last time i had it at 270 everything was runnin fine then i went to hit f6 for a quick save and thats when it shut down so thats kind of why im wondering if it could be a power supply issue or not
    Last edited by Nate89; January 7th, 2006 at 17:37 PM.

Silver Member
    also since ive installed my vga silencer the actric vga cooler rev. 3 my 12v rail seems to be a bit more touchy ive seen it gor as high as 12.26 down to 12.11 where as it used to only go to 12.15 and only as low as 12.13 i know thats not much but its just another little something i noticed

I'd talk to fastgame about this, but I think you might have reached your overclocking peak, without better cooling. It could be memory related, or even CPU related.

FG is the guy to talk to about this.

As long as you are not pushing the FSB, does the system run stable?

If your ram is hot, you could get some ram heatsinks... but I dunno if it will help or not.
    Last edited by Big Booger; January 12th, 2006 at 03:47 AM.

Silver Member
    yes it does run stable and as far as heatsinks there are already some on there i found out that if i set the ram to 333mhz i can push it to at least 300mhz which is what its at right now and it runs stable so i think i reached my ram overclocking limit is all

Quote Originally Posted by Nate89
    yes it does run stable and as far as heatsinks there are already some on there i found out that if i set the ram to 333mhz i can push it to at least 300mhz which is what its at right now and it runs stable so i think i reached my ram overclocking limit is all
    Bam. At least you didn't fry anything like the exploding duron clocked to nearly 4 ghz.

Silver Member
    ha ha ha ya i saw that and it scared me the first time i watched it because i wasnt ready for it i cant believe they had over 4v goin to the vcore and only had stock cooling on that thing but the cool part was the hole it blew through not only the motherboard but the table as well

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    i found out that if i set the ram to 333mhz i can push it to at least 300mhz which is what its at right now and it runs stable so i think i reached my ram overclocking limit is all
    Can you explain ? you have 500mhz ram, why are you setting it to 333mhz in order to OC ?

Maybe I don't understand what you're really saying
    Last edited by FastGame; January 12th, 2006 at 16:28 PM.

Silver Member
    ok if i run the ram at 270mhz then my computer will restart while playing half-life 2 so i put it down to 255mhz and it all runs fine then i was readin on anandtech.com and saw how they can keep overclocking by clocking the ram slower right now i have my fsb set to 310mhz ht of 3x and my cpu is running at 2.8ghz and my ram is set to 333mhz and its actual clock speed with the fsb at 310mhz is 258 mhz i think or something close to that so my ram is still running at ddr500 speeds but the cpu is clocked higher then it was before and my benchmark scores that i gave before in the thread called how does your system compare i had the ram set to 270mhz and now its only at 258mhz but the cpu is clocked higher and my scores are better then they were then i get around 90000 on aquakmark 3 and 27000 on 3dmark 01 others i forget but im going to continue my testing and see how high i can raise the fsb before system instability sets in right now while gaming with it at 2.8ghz the highest ive seen the temp go is 50C so so far so good

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Well now, thats a nice explanation Nice OC on that A64 3000

Silver Member
    a few corrections when i had my system running at 2.8ghz it would hang when loading a few programs like S&M for instance too ages to load and would basically freeze my computer i could see everything that was happening ie. ppl im'ing me and all that but couldnt click ona single thing so i backed the fsb off to 300mhz again which puts the cpu at 2.7ghz and the actual ram speed at 250mhz and after runnign S&M this time the cpu's hottest temp was 60C which is great since thats only 2C hotter then stock and u have to remember that i have this thing overclocked 900mhz more then its rated at which would put this thing clocked at 100mhz higher then the FX55 the only difference between the two chips are mins was 145 bucks and the fx55 is 815 bucks and the fx55 has 1mb cache 2 where as mine has 512 kb and all is well once again