Thread: The Google Pack

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

The Google Pack

http://pack.google.com/

They've bundled some of their apps into one package, very handy for admins wanting to install google software or anyone wanting to put it on more than one PC.

Google Pack is:
    # Essential: Enjoy safe, useful software for your computer
    # Simple: Download and install everything in just a few clicks
    # Customizable: Choose only the software you want
    # Up to date: Get updates and new software via Google Updater
    # Learn more
    System Requirements
    # Windows XP with Administrator privileges (What's this?)
    # Firefox 1.0+ or Internet Explorer 6.0+

View: http://pack.google.com/

Very nice indeed! I love the free norton haha!

Nice I am using it now. Gmail and News feature are wonderful!
    Thanks.
    Rage Against Machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Very nice indeed! I love the free norton haha!
    Norton with 6 months free:

Norton Antivirus 2005 Special Edition - Antivirus utility
    Symantec

* Protect your PC from viruses, worms and Trojan horses
    * Includes 6-month subscription to protection updates
    I think that is interesting.. the symantec-google alliance.

this article pretty much rips up the google pack.

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/google_pack.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkers
    this article pretty much rips up the google pack.

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/google_pack.asp

From the Web page, you can select from up to 13 different applications, which are described below. By default, 9 of the 13 applications are selected for install; these include Google Earth, Google Desktop, Picasa, Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, Google Pack Screensaver, Mozilla Firefox with Google Toolbar, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Norton Antivirus 2005 Special Edition, and Adobe Reader 7. However, you can deselect any of these and/or add the remaining five applications, which include Google Talk, RealPlayer 10.5, GalleryPlayer HD Images, and Trillian.
    So you can choose to install any or none of them. It's free. And you get ads to upgrade...

Second, your desktop, Quick Launch toolbar, and system tray begin filling up with an unwelcome number of icons. By the time this thing is done, your PC will look like the victim of a nasty spyware attack (Figure)
    This is as simple to remedy as clicking start, clicking run, type MSCONFIG and uncheck the items in the startup tab that you don't want in your sys tray...

And in the beginning he talks about how the stuff is out of date and so on... like virus definitions... and he says it in a negative way... then as you skim down, he writes this:

In the Preferences tab, you can specify various configuration options, such as whether you want to be notified when there are updates, whether Google Pack Installer should display a system tray icon, and so on (Figure).
    So you can choose to have it automatically notifiy you when items need to be updated...

Besides whenever you buy software off the shelf, especially Antivirus you nearly always have to update the virus definitions anyway...

To be honest, I think he just wanted to attack google... It's their first "pack" that incorporates a lot of free software... even the AV is free (though in 6 months you have to purchase)...

I personally haven't installed it because I have already set my system up, and have most of the google apps and so on installed... but to me it seems that P.T. just nitpicked it to death... reminds me of a grandmother moaning about her peaches being bruised or something...

It was a good read though, despite that.. and if you are a nit-picker, then that article is right up your alley..

He did make some good suggestions, like having Ad-aware included with a more recent update... the gallery player images a complete waste of bandwidth, and so on...

So while he does whine about all the little issues, he does get indepth with it and explain all the features from his point of view and as far as I can tell it's fairly accurate.

But his second to the last statement nearly negates everything he wrote negatively about the pack:

Google Pack is still in beta, so the more glaring issues can be fixed by a final release, if there is one.