Thread: Can't share internet connection.

Can't share internet connection.

I have 2 Win2K (sp4) PCs connected via a twisted-pair cable. In order to get them to see each other, for some reason I've had to statically assign each one an IP address, and on each PC set up a gateway to the other's IP address.

Now I come to share the internet connection. The modem is on PC1, so I right-click on the dialup connection and share it, as the Win2K help describes.
    Then on PC2 I open IE and set the connection up to use a LAN connection, unchecking the boxes about "automatically detect connection" and "use automatic script" etc - again as instructed by the Win2K help.

And yet it doesn't work at all. The two machines see each other fine but no internet worky! Checking the boxes in the LAN connection settings makes no difference. There was a note about not using static IPs with internet sharing but I've had to do this to get the two PCs to communicate (I don't know why, I thought I'd just put them in the same workgroup and they'd link up - but they dont).

What can I do - is there somewhere else I can force TCP/IP on PC2 to connect to PC1? Driving me up the wall - and PC2 is my fast PC, but it has no spare PCI slot for the modem.

I would do the following ..
    Each computer requires a ethernet adapter .....(either wired or wireless )
    1- 4 port router ........ and again either wired or wireless

Then the connection is simple ...... incoming internet connection goes into the broadband modem ......
    From the output of the modem to the imput of the router .
    From the output of the 4 port router to each of the 3 computers via their ethernet adapter ( using a CAT 5 cable or wireless if the router and ethernet adapters are wireless )
    It doesnt matter which operating system is installed on the various pcs .......they are all now connected to the net .
    I think this is what your trying to do.
    Rage Against Machine!

It's not broadband - it's a dialup modem. And anyway using a router is just another expensive piece of hardware. It should be entirely possible to share the connection across a simple network.

Is it because I am using fixed IP addresses for the 2 PCs instead of DHCP? In that case why do my two PCS only see each other with fixed IPs and each having a gateway to the other?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg
    It's not broadband - it's a dialup modem. And anyway using a router is just another expensive piece of hardware. It should be entirely possible to share the connection across a simple network.

Is it because I am using fixed IP addresses for the 2 PCs instead of DHCP? In that case why do my two PCS only see each other with fixed IPs and each having a gateway to the other?
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/sharing.htm

Follow the method and you should come out with two PCs networked and internet connection sharing installed.

TCP/IP Settings for the (LAN) NIC in the Sharing Computer

Enter the following information into your TCP/IP Control panel for the NIC in your Sharing computer:

IP address: set to 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

WINS Configuration: Disable WINS resolution

Gateway: Make sure there are NO entries.

DNS Configuration: Leave this alone
    DNS settings apply to all NICs in a given computer, so you can't set them differently for the LAN NIC.
    If your ISP has assigned you a static IP address, this will probably be enabled and other information will be filled in when the first NIC was set up.
    If your ISP uses DHCP to assign you an IP address, then this will probably be disabled because the DHCP server takes care of giving your computer the DNS and Gateway server information it needs.
    At any rate, don't change the DNS setting.

Bindings: Check Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks if you don't have any other protocol (NetBeui, IPX/SPX) installed and bound to these items. Otherwise uncheck both these items so that you do not have either item bound to TCP/IP.

Advanced: make sure the "Set this protocol to be the default protocol." is checked.
    * NetBios: no changes.

TCP/IP Settings for the NIC in the Client Computer

You may need to change the following settings once you install Sharing, but they'll get you started so that you can test your network:

IP address: set to 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.254.
    Each computer needs to have a different IP address.

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

WINS Configuration: Disable WINS resolution

Gateway: set to 192.168.0.1

DNS Configuration: set to Disabled

Bindings: Check Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks if you don't have any other protocol (NetBeui, IPX/SPX) installed and bound to these items. Otherwise uncheck them.

Advanced: make sure the "Set this protocol to be the default protocol." is checked.
    * NetBios: no changes.

That should be it for TCP/IP installation

Helpful as ever - I'll give it a shot.

Should I actually be sharing the dialup network connection, or is that not required?

That site talks about having to install sharing software - but the Win2K help makes no reference, and for a brief period I have had internet sharing working on different PCs without it...
    Last edited by d000hg; January 11th, 2006 at 13:50 PM.

Helpful as ever - I'll give it a shot.

Should I actually be sharing the dialup network connection, or is that not required?

That site talks about having to install sharing software - but the Win2K help makes no reference, and for a brief period I have had internet sharing working on different PCs without it...
    If you follow that site to a T, you'll not go wrong. I practically swear by the site.

That site lists several options for internet sharing. You needed to work your way through it carefully:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...nstall_dup.htm

That is the particular software they are talking about. It basically means to activate ICS on the computer that you are connected to the internet with... ICS is already part of Windows 2000 pro.

ICS is much easier to set up in Win2000 than in Win98SE and WinMe. There's no software to install, and it doesn't add any network components or protocols. But Win2000 gives you less control over how ICS works. You can't:

disable the DHCP server.

change the server's IP address or the range of addresses allocated by the DHCP server.

share the connection over two different networks.

I did most of those things at least. But possibly not all - I'll try again...

Still can't get it to work. Both PCs can ping each other. The client PC can ping the IP address the modem is using. The intenet connection itself is just fine and dandy.
    What am I missing?

Still can't get it to work. Both PCs can ping each other. The client PC can ping the IP address the modem is using. The intenet connection itself is just fine and dandy.
    What am I missing?
    Check any firewall situation that might be stopping the flow of data. Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup (the name must be the same). If you are on a domain, make sure the domain address is correct, also make sure the username and passwords are correct.

What I would suggest is this, remove ICS completely. Remove the internet, all the NICs everything from the computers (via software) and reinstall everything from the start using the method outlined at the practicallynetworked.com site.

It could be possible that your first attempts are interfering with the process. Erase all traces of ICS and networking, as well as the internet connection, and start over from the beginning. Then post your results.

Another thing you can try is to setup two connections, one for the internet and one for the LAN, and then bridge the connections. That may work as well.

Check out the troubleshooting connection issues on PN.com:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...oubleshoot.htm