Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overclocked Duron Explodes

Ok. so it was fake.... get hot, sure, start smoking, sure, but to fly out of the freakin socket like that! no way in hell.

But I'm wondering, anyone think the duron could actually go to 3GHZ!?
    LOL. The stable best for the fastest duron I know is a little under 1500. I dont think its possible, but if it was.....

*Grim looks around for his old duron * :|

_____________________EDIT______________________
    Ahh crap, lol. TOOOOTALLy a hoax.

I just took a look at the FSB they were running the chip at lol. ALMOST 800 MHZ! :O lol. NOOO SKT462 CPU works are those speeds! 400 tops.
    Last edited by Grim; July 25th, 2006 at 19:02 PM.
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Err... how do you overclock.. by increasing voltages ... so they pumped in 12v instead of 3.3 and you'd get 800MHz... but also a hole in ur desk!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    Err... how do you overclock.. by increasing voltages ... so they pumped in 12v instead of 3.3 and you'd get 800MHz... but also a hole in ur desk!!

. Thanks for the attempted clarification... but you're misunderstanding friend.

Durons can reach 800mhz easy... thats not what I'm saying.
    What I'm talking about is the FRONT SIDE BUS! (and BTW, just if you were thinking that.... you cant get a faster FSB be raising the v.core ).

However... when you look at these dude's monitor... we see a duron operating at near 4 GHZ (which I believe in itself is impossible) and they also have a 700+ (near to 800 mhz) FSB. WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ANY AMD SKT 462 CHIP! Just plain impossible seeing that the maximum Bus frequency is 400, unlike the pentiums which are reputable for their high, 800 mhz FSB.
    Last edited by Grim; July 27th, 2006 at 12:35 PM.
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    ok, so its fake... but just to put 1 point across... things dont have to be explosive to explode... explosion occurs when the gases cant be expelled quick enough from the container... so, the die/core being superheated expands quicker than the packaging and BANG!! ... if it happened in the video, we dont know. but dont discount it
    Glad to know that everyone here moonlights as nuclear physicist
    Last edited by bionicblond; September 22nd, 2006 at 11:46 AM.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

that is not true..I have experience on a cpu fan that is not working...but it did not explode like that...tha thing is the cpu stop' responding it hang's the system until you turn it off manually. then when the cpu is cooled, it works again until it will never work at all.
    Last edited by georgejr05; April 11th, 2007 at 01:48 AM.
    Eat Safe to Ride Safe

wow, an old thread.

Not sure if Grim is still with us, but i think we were talking about the same thing...

Anyway, @bionic, lol, not nuclear physicist, just some spare time with mentos and diet coke

@georg, i agree that a standard clocked cpu will (most times) shutdown when overheated as, like u said, fan breaks...

Maybe you can increase your core voltage to 12volts and overclock frontsidebus up and up and up... disconnect your fan and then tell me nothing happens

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I remember from the old TechTV days a project by Patrick Norton. He was building an ultimate computer for that time. The project was to use best motherboard, video card, etc. The processor was an AMD Athlon (don't remember the clock speed). All of the fabrication was accomplished live over a period of days.

The thing that makes this story relevant to this topic is that Patrick succeeded in frying two different CPUs. There was visible smoke with one.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Yep... Warning kids : TechTV will smoke your CPUs!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by Nate89 View Post
    did u watch the pentium 4 one? its the same people and if you didnt see all the smoke (comming from the firecracker or other explosive device they were using to blow the thing up) then what do you think its from also check out the monitor cords the one for the monitor is it hink white but the one going to the motherboard is black i think or vice-versa and how do you think the holes got there...on a cpu what would be exploding? the silicon? last time i checked theres nothing explosive on a cpu all it would do is heat up fry burn and melt if it got that hot without dieing first also if you look close when they take off the cpu fan (which they did so without using a screw driver signifying that it wasnt on right) the bar that holds the cpu isnt down all the way and id almost assume that the computer wouldnt stay on as long as it did on stock cooling with the voltage over 4V to the cpu
    Your wrong on the video cable, the white cord is plugged into a com slot, yeah i know the heads look similar, but ya clearly see the black monitor cable going in the video card which is not on the motherboard. As for the cpu exploding, well yeah we know thats not really possible. However an electrical surge/arc would be enough to put a whole in the table and maybe crack and send the cpu flying. Good way to test is to stick a screw driver in an outlet socket. Still the identical hole in the table makes it questionable.
    Last edited by thraxed; April 12th, 2007 at 06:59 AM.

Silver Member
    I like how this thread is still going a year and a half later :P and as far as the while cable going to a serial port....If the monitor cable is white and the white cord is going to a serial port....how's the monitor going to work? Also, where is the black cable coming from?

LOL.. i just wish there was a high res version to checkk the color of all the cables...

I've got a couple old pentium pro chips.. might hook them up to a UPS or something that can 'spark' 1000Volts and see what happens.. lol.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    If you mean UPS as in an uninterpretable power source then 1000Volts is a no. If the unit is rated at 1000VA then that is volt amps which is watts. 1000VA=1000 watts which = roughly 8.5 amps at 120 volts. I might be totally off base here but if I've learned one thing in my electricity class, it's that.

Yeah i know.. i was just trying to think of something with Big numbers and lots of volts/watts/amps etc etc I'll use a Tesla coil if i had one! hehe.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    We had a Jacobs Ladder back at school with I think a 30,000 volt transformer on it maybe give one of those a try and see how those pentiums react

Good to see you Nate!

BTW, I just watched Prestige, with his Telsa Cage! Hmmm... I wonder if we could re-create many Quad-Core chips for techzonez

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---