Thread: Windows XP (service pack 2) and sasser worm

Windows XP (service pack 2) and sasser worm

My PC is working on Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Recently when i was working on it, it showed me this message :

"System Process C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe terminated
    unexpectedly with status code -107374189. System will shutdown in 1 minute"

After following up into this matter i found out that it shows presence of Sasser worm. I downloaded all the sasser worm removal tools ( from Mcafee, Semantics etc) and tried them to remove the worm. But none of them would detect the presence of any such worm.

I also visited Microsoft website for any security updates but didn't find any such security update for system running under Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    I asked some of my friends who said that Service pack 2 systems are not attacked by Sasser worms.

Is Windows XP with service pack 2 free from the threat of being attacked by any Sasser Worm variant ?

If so then how come my PC got the sasser worm. Please give your suggestions regarding how to remove the worm and ensure that it doesn't hit back again.

Have you had this error message before?

I wouldn't worry about it unless it appears again, just because lsass.exe crashes it doesn't mean you have a virus.