Thread: HDD partitions

Sussex, England

HDD partitions

Hey guys

I've just bought a new laptop; Acer Aspire 3023. Its running perfectly and I don't have any issues with it, except for one.

I like my music, lots and lots of music, and have downloaded loads from Napster et al. on their trials. However I have just been given a message saying I had low hard disk space. This couldn't possibly be; I've only had it a few weeks and I haven't got enough stuff on it to fill 80GB.

I check 'my computer' and it seems that my C Drive has only 200MB left, but I apparently have another drive (D Drive) which contains nothing at all (save for one empty folder) but has 36.8 GB free on it.

As I don't have 2 hard disks installed I'm assuming this is a partition. Is there a way I can get rid of it or am I going to have to divert all new files into D drive?

System Specs;
    Acer Aspire 3023wlmi
    AMD Mobile Sempron 1.8GHz Processor
    512 DDR SDRAM
    80GB hard drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128Mb

Greatly appreciated Z3N!!!

North Central Arkansas
    Quote Originally Posted by alliswoe
    As I don't have 2 hard disks installed I'm assuming this is a partition.
    It would seem your assumption is correct. Your 80 GB drive has been partitioned into two 40 GB chunks. Looks like you have a partition with 36.8 GB of free space. It is easy to check. Use Windows Explorer to create appropriate folders on drive D. Then move some of your files to the new folder. You should be able to quickly determine what you want to do with the rest of your music files.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Software Paradise
    There are windows partition programs out there (i think partition Magic) which can re-partition or delete them from inside windows, without loosing data due to reformat

The other guys should be able to give better information.

Welcome back to the site too

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

You could move or eliminate a partition w/Partition Magic but I think that efc's suggestion is the best. Just move or copy the music from C to D (click and drag) and then delete the copies on C. That will free up all the space you should need for now.

Some parallel universe

there are no ways to just 'add' hard disk space. however if you want to re-partition, windows xp has a built in feature that can be used instead of third party programs like partition magic. click start>run and type in "compmgmt.msc" without the quotes. this will open a windows. go to "Disk Management" from the tree menu on the left hand side. you will be able to manage your disks and partitions from there .