Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox Myths Debunked

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Firefox Myths Debunked

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Suppor...efoxMyths.html

Myth (Definition) - A fiction or half-truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology. While Firefox is a decent Web Browser, there are numerous Myths floating around the Internet regarding it. Hopefully this site will debunk some of these.

Firefox Faster, Safer, Better
    We have all seen these banners before or heard people say "Firefox is Faster, Firefox has Lower Requirements, Firefox is Secure, Firefox defends me from all Spyware, etc." How misleading is it? Read on.

Notes - This page is in no way affiliated with Microsoft or Comcast. This page is NOT an endorsement for any web browser and it is NOT a Comparison Guide. It is designed to debunk the most common Myths heard on the Internet about Firefox - Period. All Myths relate to running Firefox in Windows. Please read carefully.
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Suppor...efoxMyths.html

What do you think?

Triple Platinum Member
    Well, myths are just that- myths. Firefox doesn't claim half the things on that site to be their browser's features.

Internet Explorer 6.x is clearly faster than Firefox 1.x overall and is significantly faster from a cold start.
    Are there any statistics to prove that or are we just supposed to believe his gut feeling?

Since Firefox was released users have been exposed to 26 security vulnerabilities and counting. 6 of which were market as Highly Critical.
    All of which have almost been patched. (Right?)
    Last edited by rohitk89; January 20th, 2006 at 08:14 AM.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I knew I should of stayed with opera damn you fastgame for converting me. . I personally think its a preference. I was using opera for years until these guys converted me and I just find that theres more support for FF and have alot more ext. and themes. But maybe I'll install operas newest release and see how it is.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Remember that myth debunker's can also start "myths"

FF safety ? hmm all got patched, where have you seen reports that FF users were affected by these exploits ? and what about all the infections that aren't encountered simply because they don't affect FF.

Windows had the WMF exploit for how many years ? Because something has holes doesn't mean people are out there exploiting it.

Speed ? yeah FF launches slow, don't know why. I know its slow even on a powerful system, try it on a 700 Duron with 256mb ram dam can make a pot of coffee before launch. Surfing speed, I don't know how anyone with high speed net could see the difference between any of the browsers.

I use Opera along with FF, IMO FF is best for me, what ever Mythical short comings it may have

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Bow to the Fox!

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rohitk89
    Are there any statistics to prove that or are we just supposed to believe his gut feeling?
    Yes, he linked to this source.

Quote Originally Posted by rohitk89
    All of which have almost been patched. (Right?)
    True, the author's point I believe is that Firefox, like IE, has holes.

Explorer 6.x is clearly faster than Firefox 1.x overall and is significantly faster from a cold start.
    It's true Internet Explorer does load more quickly than Firefox but that's because it's already loaded when Windows starts.

Minimum requirements, I wonder. . .

Microsoft always have BS minimum requirements for their software, they say Windows XP will run on 64MB of RAM and they recommend 128MB fo aceptable performance, when you and I both know you need at least 256MB to get decent performance. and exactly the same applies to IE.

I prefer Opera, it's got the most features and it also smaller than FireFox and it uses less memory, but it isn't as well supported as Firefox so I use both.

I know it's a myth that Firefox is 100% secure, accessing the Internet with a restricted user account with a good fire wall and anti-virus will protect you more than using it over IE alone, but it cannot by denied it has less security holes than IE, hell even US CERT even recommend you should consider using and alternative.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloone_Jonez
    hell even US CERT even recommend you should consider using and alternative.
    Wow, if US CERT recommend you switch then they must be right.

Geez how many more times are you gonna use that same old "US CERT recommends" crap.

Find some new material its starting to get tedious.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Oh and BTW i use IE & FF.

and were on a linux server.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Wow, if US CERT recommend you switch then they must be right.

Geez how many more times are you gonna use that same old "US CERT recommends" crap.

Find some new material its starting to get tedious.
    What's wrong with me repeating myself? It often needs to be done (not everyone has read that post) and it's only the second time I've said this .

CERT know a hell of a lot more about this crap than you and I do or the person who wrote this site for that matter - there aren't any more official or well respected sources.

What's wrong with me repeating myself?
    like i said its tedious.

CERT know a hell of a lot more about this crap than you and I do or the person who wrote this site for that matter - there aren't any more official or well respected sources.
    And......

like i said its tedious.
    Like I said not everyone here has read that post - it was for the benift of others, not you.
    And......
    Their oppion carries more weigth than this site's author, mine or anyone else's for that matter - they know what they're talking about, they have also raised more valid reasons not to use IE than this person has to prefer it over Firefox.

Their oppion carries more weigth than this site's author, mine or anyone else's for that matter - they know what they're talking about, they have also raised more valid reasons not to use IE than this person has to prefer it over Firefox.
    So if they said IE was better than Firefox you would use IE??? I think not.

Its yet another one of your lets slag off MS posts. Save them for Microsuck.

This yawn smilie is starting to wear out.

Off topic, although still security related, you might want to advise the MSsuck admins to upgrade vbulletin.

3.0.6 is way out of date and has potential security flaws. 3.0.12 or 3.5.3.