Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: secondary ide ATAPI incompatible

secondary ide ATAPI incompatible

Hello...recently bought Asus A8S-X (Sckt 939) mobo w/AMD X2 4200 cpu. I can't get the secondary IDE to "see" anything. I have tried:
    setting bios to "not installed"
    updating SIS chipset/mobo/IDE controller drivers
    changing pin positions
    checking connections

The primary IDE sees both HDD, I want a lite-on DVD burner and a cd-rw on the secondary IDE. When DVD is slave on primary IDE it works fine. I'm beginning to think this mobo is garbage and needs to be sacrificed to the fire gods. Are there any free aps to assess it? I've been looking for answers for a week...does ANYONE have an idea of what the problem could be?

Silver Member
    have u tried different cables? tried the drives in a different pc and made sure they both work? tried turning the ide cable around maybe u have it backwards somehow u never know?

Welcome to TZ by the way

Do you have an "Auto Detect" setting in your bios for you secondary IDE?

Thanks for the replies...I did check the cables, they are good. I've also tried 3 different cables on each ide channel. All cables work on the primary ide. I can't find an option in the bios to "auto detect." In the first page of the main bios I can tell it "not installed," but any option for auto (or auto detect, I think) is on the following page for each respective device. So I can have one or the other option but not both. Basically, it looks like I could auto detect an individual drive on the secondary ide but not have the bios automatically detect on just the secondary ide automatically. IF I use the auto detect in the first page of the main bios I go back to getting the secondary ide ATAPI incompatible error. It's been a vicious cycle...

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I may have missed this but, have you tried putting the hard drive on the 2nd controller to see if it detects?

Silver Member
    also this may sound stupid because u seem to know what ur doing but do u have the jumpers set to the right positions?

All,
    Thanks again for the suggestions. I have tried so many things that I don't remember if both hard drives had problems on the secondary ide. I'm pretty sure it will just give the ATAPI incompatible error...but I'll check tonight. I'll check the jumpers again on each of the optical drives. QUESTION: If the primary ide drives' jumper pins were configured wrong, would that effect anything on the secondary ide? Just curious before I try to troubleshoot 4 drives at once instead of two!
    You all have already been more help than the manufacturer or vender...who will remain un-named for now until such time as they provide TOTAL dissatisfaction. As of now, they are mighty unresponsive...but I will be sure to let everyone know whether they are worth dropping your dollars on...

ok, to ensure the 2nd controller is good just connect your boot drive to it with nothing else connected and see if it will boot to the hard drive. If it does leave it that way and connect your optical drives to the primary controller and see if that works or gives an error.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by odogmuzak
    QUESTION: If the primary ide drives' jumper pins were configured wrong, would that effect anything on the secondary ide? Just curious before I try to troubleshoot 4 drives at once instead of two!
    ive never heard of one ide affecting the other ide so i think the answer to your question is no it shouldnt effect it

rik/Nate89:
    I checked and changed jumper pins, and tried just the boot drive alone on the secondary ide...no ATAPI error...or anything for that manner. It tells me to find a boot device and press enter. So I'm back on the primary IDE and have both hard drives working but no love w/the opticals. I need both hard drives and at least one optical on the other. Should I issue this board a 9 mil pill?

Before you give up:

From your description, I have not been able to figure out your installation of the drives. Please answer the following questions.

Which drive or drives are connected to primary IDE connection on motherboard? What is the pin setting on both and which cable plugs are connected to each drive.

Provide the same information on the drive or drives connected to secondary IDE connection.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Although the BIOS isn't recognizing them, are they still listed in device manager and My Computer?

Another thing to try is shutdown the machine then clear the CMOS by using the jumper. (the manual will give instructions). Connect up the secondary drives and turn the machine on.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I have two Seagate hard drives set as master and slave as per the jump pin instructions on the hard drives. The master is at the end connector with the slave on the next connector below that one. I think that is what you wanted to know...

Secondary IDE is a DVD rw and CD rw, again with jumpers set as master and slave. The DVD is on the last connector w/ the CD RW just below that. I am very near ready to just get another board...

The secondary ide controller shows up in Windows but none of the devices do when connected. I will try to clear the CMOS...

Do that and also try resetting your bios defaults if you haven't already. I've not seen a MB that wouldn't boot off the 2ndary controller yet, but that is controlled by the bios.

[afterthought] Might also try connecting just the 2 hard drives, both as Master, and 1 on each controller to see if the 2nd one is seen.