Thread: Updating Roxio Easy Media Creator V. 7

Updating Roxio Easy Media Creator V. 7

Can anyone give me a "for sure" answer to my question below?

Here is what Roxio Support lists as an update for EMC 7. (see quote)

---------------
    "Update Easy Media Creator 7 Retail (boxed)
    December 14, 2004

Update the Retail (CD-ROM) version of Easy Media Creator 7.0x suite to 7.1.1.189 (English Only). For additional information on fixes included, click here. "
    ---------------

Now, I have just purchased EMC 7.1.0.95 but it is an OEM CD only...just the one CD in a sleeve. It is a retail purchase in the sense that I am buying it online.

But can someone tell me for sure whether or not I CAN use the above update with 7.1.0.95--does OEM purchased online through a retailer still count as a "retail purchase" or does retail purchase mean only a brand new boxed CD and not OEM?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Silver Member
    yes it should still work if it doesnt then u got ripped off because ive personally never had problems with oem products

Thanks, Nate: I realized I had left out 1 detail (which may/may not be relevant at this point) which was that Roxio also said (re their update) that they had a 2nd (apparently different) update that you would use if you had [U]dowloaded/U] Easy Media Creator 7.

Silver Member
    so what your saying is that either way you'll be able to use an update one way or the other

Yeah, that is about what I'm thinking...since I didn't download it, I had to have gotten it retail. That's logical. But too often the world isn't logical or a word (here 'retail') does not always mean exactly the same thing to all people

Actually I'd probably be fine without the update--I just want it for burning a CD from my HD, copying a CD and for getting some audio tapes on disc--pretty basic. I was using ECDC 5.x but it stopped working with my XP SP2--and Easy Media Creator is designed to work with XPSP2 and it only cost $14. download. The other consideration I had was that the OEM versions, according to several online seller sites are designed to be used by computer builders (Dell, Compaq, e.g.) and not sold retail. I should guess that what happens is that when a new version (EMC 8.0 in this case) comes out, then the price of the earlier version discs drops.

I'm planning to gamble a bit at this point and install the retail version update at any rate--I'll send you a private message when I do that and let you know how it went. If it screws up, I'll uninstall it all and just install V. 7 from the CD.