Thread: external hard drive enclosures

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

external hard drive enclosures

I just ordered this enclosure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145167

anyone have any experience with enclosures that I should look out for. gonna use it to back up my OS images, music, and digital pix.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    I just ordered this enclosure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145167

anyone have any experience with enclosures that I should look out for. gonna use it to back up my OS images, music, and digital pix.

The only thing I can talk about my enclosure is the sound level. The fan inside is quite noisy to the point that it disturbs anyone in the room that it is running in.

That might not be a concern for you, but it was for me.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    That case looks real nice I'm still using moble racks.

I'm interested in doing the same thing. I'm concerned about the heat mentioned in the "cons" and the noise that BB points to. I've got three fans running and you cant even hear them. I think I'll look for an enclosure that I can add a quiet fan to w/o looking tacky. Thanks for the "Heads Up" BB!
    BTW- I've added filters on all of my air intakes to help keep out the dust. No noticable increase in the heat. DRB

Quote Originally Posted by blackhat
    I'm interested in doing the same thing. I'm concerned about the heat mentioned in the "cons" and the noise that BB points to. I've got three fans running and you cant even hear them. I think I'll look for an enclosure that I can add a quiet fan to w/o looking tacky. Thanks for the "Heads Up" BB!
    BTW- I've added filters on all of my air intakes to help keep out the dust. No noticable increase in the heat. DRB
    Another thing that I found, was if you are considering changing out the drives on a regular basis, find one that is easy to disassemble and reassemble. Mine is quite complicated so if I ever buy a new one it will be of better design for that purpose.

ok after moving backing things up gotta say that drive rocks. seriously took 5 mins to assemble. and its external SATA so I was transfering at 3gig instead of the 400m usb2 rates are at. This case also has no fans and is very quite. I filled it up with about 100gigs of data in about 45 mins altogether...didnt notice any heat from the drive at all.

In the link under "cons", one guy said the heat was huge and that the HD rattled in the in the enclosure. I'm beginning to think that he's just someone pushing another product. I'm more interested now that I've followed this conversation. DRB

yeah I read that too. dont know what hes talking about has 4 screws and is in there pretty tightly. now I moved quite a bit of data to it and it wasnt hot at all. now let me clarify that it will not be on all the time. I'm using this strictly for offline back up storage, not as EXTRA storage.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    yeah I read that too. dont know what hes talking about has 4 screws and is in there pretty tightly. now I moved quite a bit of data to it and it wasnt hot at all. now let me clarify that it will not be on all the time. I'm using this strictly for offline back up storage, not as EXTRA storage.
    Phish I don't quite get the external SATA or eSATA bit. How does it work? I mean do you plug this into a SATA port somewhere or what? If so, do you have a PCI SATA interface? Or are you opening your case, and plugging it directly into the motherboard? If it's the second case, I think that is quite obtrusive. Do you have USB 2.0 support as well?

Just wondering.

esata fits in the pci slot of your case and then plugs into the sata on the mobo. so it looks like a long usb port from the case. and yes it does have usb2.0 support. like I said its a pretty sweet deal for backup purposes.

I just finished posting on a guy who has to reload his machine's op sys. I was saying that we have enough enclosures and hard drives to just swap out in case of a crash and then replace all of the files we need to keep working.

Heat has never been an issue but make sure you never pile folders on top. THen you'll learn about heat. I did.

Love enclosure. Booger is right on about easy to assemble part also.