Thread: I cannot access a Roxio Discussion Group page

I cannot access a Roxio Discussion Group page

Was not sure which forum to post this in.

Here's the scoop

I am using Windows XPSP2 ad my browser is Firefox. And except for the following, everything else about my computer is work normally!

I bought at retail and installed the CD of Roxio’s Easy Media Creator 7.5. No problem. Then, since there was a downloadable update for the retail version available online at Roxio, I downloaded and installed that. To all appearances both program and update installed OK though I did get a message that Spysweeper had been compromised and I should reinstall it. Which I did without a problem. There was some other small glitch which I easily corrected or which corrected itself—I forget, however, what it was.

But and here is the cruncher. Roxio has a Discussion Group on its website (www.roxio.com). I go there, click “support”, click “Discussion Groups”, select the Discussion Group for Easy Media Creator7/7.5. From that point there are quite a few sub-divisions or areas. I selected the one titled: “Uninstall/Install/Updates” and never got beyond that point. The taskbar at the bottom of my screen was reading: “waiting for…”, the progress bar of the little green rectangles filled to all but the last green rectangle and then time stopped—my computer stopped there—nothing more occurred.

Roxio recognized my user name and password. I had registered my new software. I tried logging out and got some message I was not authorized to do what I was trying to do. I tried again to access the discussion group page—same result as before. I shut down, rebooted and tried again. Same behavior/results—I could not get to the page where there were questions and answers and where you could ask questions.

I uninstalled Easy Media Creator and the update completely. I still could not access the discussion group. I went back to the last system restore—and I still could not access the group. I went Start > shutdown and went to bed.

The next morning I discovered my computer had not shut down! OK. I still could not access the discussion group page I wanted. I undid the restore of yesterday. Still could not access the group at that point, nor after a reboot. The progress bar’s behavior (not filling totally) was unchanged. I wrote this letter.

Incidentally, when I first tried to paste this message (from Word where I wrote it) in here, I was, out of the blue, at the Roxio page I'd been trying to access--hooray--but when I clicked on a post to see if things were working I got a page reading: "logged in as john_d_miller (log out)." And

"Roxio Community > Easy Media Creator 7 and 7.5 > EMC 7/7.5 > install/uninstall/update" and the unfilled progress bar was there too. Not hooray!!

What’s happened? What should I do? I sure can't ask Roxio Discussion Group.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    To all appearances both program and update installed OK though I did get a message that Spysweeper had been compromised and I should reinstall it.
    Which program gave you this message?

I cannot say for sure but I am 90% sure it was Spysweeper. But Spysweeper reinstalled OK (or maybe just somehow it got corrected--perhaps with a reboot or a system restore--I don't really know) And it ran normally last night.

This is the only message I remember getting in all this. Was it the message you were referring to?

Kane, just happened to think...what about just trying a reinstall of the Roxio Easy Media Creator program from the CD at this point? Might it just not correct some bit of screwed-up code?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Every link at that site works for me. Try disabling Avast! WebShield and see if that helps.

Didn't help. I ended up same as before staring at the page with the line "Roxio Community..." and the progress bar filled to all but the last little green rectangle. The hour glass joined the mouse arrow and the combination remained like that unless I moved the mouse to the taskbar or to other menus.

Bronze Member
    Try troubleshooting steps listed here.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_(Firefox)

FOLLOW-UP:

The following occurred before I read your post, Kane, of 1/3/05.

Well, last night I shut down and this morning rebooted. I had done nothig re correcting my problem. This morning I was easily able to access the Roxio Discussion Group page I could not access the last 2 days. I did this with both MSIE and FF browsers. I could post and read posts at Roxio Discussion Groups.

Go Figure!

The following situation might have been contributory---I say "might". My full time virus program is Avast. But every Sunday night I render it inoperative and then run BitDefender as a once-a-week check. Well, last night BitDefender said: "Can't find scanner". I rebooted and then BitDefender ran just fine. It found no viruses, nor had Avast in the recent past. So I shut down for the night and rebooted this morning. You know the rest.

Bronze Member