Thread: New monitor

Bronze Member

New monitor

Hey, I was just wondering what I should get for a new monitor. I was thinking a dell ultrasharp
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...4053YR,24054YR
    or a ViewSonic 27" LCD 'TV'
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889107001
    I'm looking to spend up to $1,000. Do either of these look like a good choice or would there be something better? I'd be using it on my main computer at home for some regular stuff (word/excell/web surfing), gaming and movies. What do you guys think?

I'm also looking for a better video card.... My 9800 is still ok, but I'm going to want to pump up the resolution for these bad boys... I'm thinking an 1800xt (or 1900xt, not much price diff). The nvidia option (7800gtx 512) is double the price of either of those...

*Edited the video card section in*
    Last edited by Mousesk; January 30th, 2006 at 02:45 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...=AppleDisplays

Another choice.

Of the two you chose, I'd go with the Dell.

Bronze Member
    I had thought about an Apple, but that's a little much. And the only advantage I could see would be prettyness (of the case of the screen) and a couple usb ports on the screen. That isn't worth an extra 400$ to me. I was reading a little review on the Dell and they have picture in picture and picture by picture, which lets you split the screen! Now that would be cool. I don't know what I'd use it for, but I'm a pretty big nerd, I'm sure I'd find something!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I personally dig the 30 inch apple model of all... but it is far too pricey. However, of the models you selected the dell would be the better of the two in my opinion.

But I will tell you this, you probably want to look at these models before you buy them to find the one that suits you. When I bought my LCD a few years back, I looked carefully over all the models and found the one that appealed to me. I picked a mitsubishi Diamondcrysta display and have been pleased thus far.

Of note as well is the dead pixel policy of the maker you buy. Some allow for dead pixels, and some allow a certain number of dead pixels before they will exchange it... you might want to investigate that as well.

And I caution you on selecting the best "specs" for a monitor, because many manufacturers don't use the same methods for their spec measurements.

Read the reviews, look at return policies and warranties, and above all go see the models yourself before you purchase.