Thread: Hard Drive Woes

Hard Drive Woes

Hi all.
    A while back i did something to my 60 Gig Maxtor Diamond Max to make it read as a 32 Gig on a pentium 2 System. Ive now binned that idea and have the HD in an icy box. Unfortunately i CANNOT get it back to a 60 Gig HD.

Maxtor couldnt help
    Maxblast wont work in windows and i cant get it to run from floppy on 2 systems. Ive tried various software with no luck. The maxblast prog i used was Maxblast 4 i think on floppy on the old P2 system, i think it installed a DDO Dynamic Drive Overlay. Now i cant remove it. Any ideas?

I have tried putting as the only drive in a system on an ide cable and altering jumpers. Still no luck.
    Last edited by Avalon; January 31st, 2006 at 16:20 PM.

Silver Member
    the only thing that i can think that happend is that u partioned it and the other space that is unused is still sitting there so if u have a windows cd boot from that and tell it that u want to install a clean copy and then delete the old partion and create a new one with all of the space instead of only the 32 gigs thats what i think u did

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    My suggestion would be to try to fdisk the drive and see if that sees the whole drive. As always, if you have data on the drive make sure you back it up before attempting this. Here is a guide to follow: http://fdisk.radified.com/ if you need help running fdisk. With that utility you can look at the partitions without making any changes, but if you do find a partition that needs to be removed Fdisk will do that also.

Just remember, You can lose everything on the drive if you don't use it carefully.

No sorry, already tried that one on advice, deleted all partitions and created a new one and formated, installed windows partly. Still no luck.

Also tried \FDisk

Everything reads ther disk as a 60 gig drive with 32 gig space.

I think i need to remove the MBR or alter it some how.

BTW the drive is empty, doesnt matter what i do to it.
    Last edited by Avalon; January 31st, 2006 at 17:35 PM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    What is your jumper set at?Might be missing or on cable select.Just a thought.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Use Wipe Out (bottom of list)

WARNING
    The use of WIPEOUT can and will result in the loss of ALL data on your hard drive.
    DIRECTIONS

1- Unzip file
    2- Copy WIPEOUT to a Win9x boot disk
    3- Boot with Win9x disk
    4- At the A:\> type "wipeout c: /nq /np" (no quotes)
    /nq = no queries - you will not be asked if you are sure.
    /np = no partitions - this will overwrite the MBR
    I use it and find its the best.

Ok tried wipeout, no joy.
    Found a util called maxllf Maxtor low level format.
    Still no luck, so deleting the MBR doesnt help, low lwvel formatting dont help.

Im really stuck now.

Something on the drive is telling it that its a 32 GIG drive and i cant seem to shift it.

Silver Member
    try changing the jupmer i think there might be a settin on some drives that make it set to a certain amount